Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP starts directly with an Admin A/c

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hi,

I have got a strange problem.
When I start my Windows XP Pro, I don't see the users accounts and have the possibility to be able to choose which one I want.
Instead it goes to an Admin account which I only see when I start the computer in Provisional mode.

To go to my account I must log off this admin account, then it goes back to the accounts window and from there you can't see that account.

There are two user accounts; mine (Admin), and my daughter's (limited).

As I said before this Admin account is only seen in the list of accounts when I boot in Provisional mode. In this case I don't see my daughter's (which is expected).

How can I get it back so that it goes directly to the log on screen again?

Thanks

Edited by English Teacher, 08 April 2010 - 03:39 PM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Can you post a screenshot of the login screen you are presented with?

Louis

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The system was shop made. As for the screen shot, when I start the computer it goes directly to the desktop of this admin account which as I have said is only seen in "safe mode".

I have to disconnect this admin user and when it logs off it goes to the normal log on window which shows my account (Admin) and my daughter's account (limited)

I have already tried all the dates in the system restore but it didn't work.

I'm still looking to see what else I can do on the net.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

Do you have it set to go directly into your account?

Does it actually show the Administrator account on the login screen?>

#5 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

OK problem solved.

I have on my computer TuneUp Utilities 2010 and I have discovered that this problem started shortly after an update for the said program.

The problem was this:

In this program you can configure Windows in many different ways and one way, through the "User Log on" you can set it to automatically "Log on" to a specific USER..

After this update, some how (I didn't do it) it was set to log on to this Admin account which I've already stated can only been seen when you try to boot in safe mode.

Thanks for all your help.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

Remove TuneUP Utilities as it can cause other unfounded issues it is a worthless program.

#7 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

In which ways can it cause problems?

I have to say that it has sped up my Internet speed a lot. The max speed I got before it, was 762 Kb according to Speedtest.net. After running the program it changed some config and after a reboot the speed shot up to 4.2Mb

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

In which ways can it cause problems?

I have to say that it has sped up my Internet speed a lot. The max speed I got before it, was 762 Kb according to Speedtest.net. After running the program it changed some config and after a reboot the speed shot up to 4.2Mb

What are you paying for from your ISP?

#9 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

up to 7mb, with all phone calls free. I pay a fixed sum per month.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

You wont be getting 4.2Megabytes a second on your 7Megabit account. You should be getting 875Kilobytes a second.

#11 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

At the moment I've got a speed of 3.49Mb/s Download and 0.40 Mb/s Upload with a ping of 97ms

But could you explain why Tuneup is no good please.

Edited by English Teacher, 09 April 2010 - 04:41 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

Why I donít use registry cleaners - http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Plain and simple...from one who has used such in earlier years, earlier operating systems (I used to buy programs, just to see if they did what they purported to do)...a novice using a program which purports to be able to determine what registry entries are valid/invalid on ANY system, anyplace, anytime...well...that's pretty laughable, in light of all the changes to a system that users make voluntarily and involuntarily, on at least a daily basis.

Some users seem to think that "registry cleaners" are magical programs that correct all the evils in a system, without user intervention.

Magic exists daily in the world of computing...but it does not lie in the use of "registry cleaners."

Louis

#13 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

OK thanks . So I won't use the cleaning feature but only the tweaks part.

Thanks for the advice.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users