Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware or bad OS install/upgrade?? Any advice pleeease?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 S4NDT

S4NDT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hi - looking for some advice, as I have run out of patience with my laptop now :flowers: I am unsure if -

a) I have inadvertently installed the wrong operating system - or just installed it badly

b ) I have a virus or some kinda of mal/spyware which has somehow re-infected my new os

c) I have simply become totally paranoid about my laptop having malware

Laptop details -

HP Pavilion dv6 1103sa Entertainment PC
Pentium duel Core T4200 @ 2.00GHz
4.00 GB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Graphics

Previously installed OS - Windows vista home
Currently installed OS - Windows 7 64 bit

I hope somebody can help me - it's making me a little mental now, it says in guidelines to provide as much background info as poss - so here goes the story -

Several months ago now I ran a Microsoft Onecare online scanner on my laptop - since it had become VERY slow starting up and a few odd glitchy things were bugging me - It reported that I had malware (Win32.agent - don't remember the exact species sorry, just that part of the name) I was using AVG free edition at the time so ran a full system scan with that - it found nothing. Just to be sure, I downloaded Malware bytes anti-malware and also ran a full system scan with that...apart from the usual tracking cookies...it found nothing. So I continued to use my system as normal.

A few weeks ago I switched ISP to Virgin, the engineer who installed it didn't have my wireless router (for reasons unknown) so I was forced to connect via Ethernet directly to my new cable modem until router arrived - previous experience with cable modems told me that this could be a danger, so I downloaded and installed the Virgin security suite - I even paid to upgrade to the 'total' package to be sure I was fully fire-walled and safe.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a few odd things, firstly that windows updates hadn't been asking me to install updates, so I looked at update history and found a bunch 'failed' items in the list - I also realized i had never received a single message from my new security suite - nothing at all, which seemed odd so I started to nosey around a little, ran a full scan with both virgin suite and malware bytes - neither of which even found a single cookie - suspicious - so I took a look in my event log - which was full of stuff about security center not running - Virgin security had stopped - updates had failed to install - blah blah seemed as though every security type installation was failing. Concluded that I must have a virus or something which was shutting all my anti virus software and anything else which may alert me to the fact.

I asked the guy at the IT company who look after our server at work what he thought I should do, he suggested I re-install my OS - or better still, delete Vista totally (thus removing all malware) and install windows 7! So yeah, I bought a full install copy of Windows 7 and proceeded to do just that. Thought i had deleted all volumes, partitions and formatted my disk, so installed Windows 7 - used the 64 bit disk, I wasn't sure which to use since my system info at start up said 4098gb ram I Google'd that and all results suggested I should install 64 bit, have since verified that was OK with an friend (works for a local software company) who even came around and made an installation for me after my installations all seemed to go wrong :trumpet:

Ok I'm rambling on now - so attempting to cut a long story short - I've now made several attempts at installing a stable OS, everything always seems fine at first, until I start installing windows updates and device drivers (all downloads from HP site) particularly the ENE CIR Receiver, J Micron card reader & the ATI video driver - everything else seems to find drivers automatically or window updates installs them with 1st available update.

When my last installation started to fail (in a big way tbh - everything went mad and my task manager wouldn't work to shut things down) I installed AVG pro (using works multi-user license) and ran a command line scan - it listed pages of 'unable to scan locked file' then eventually froze. So I attempted once more to re-install, so now - although everything is now running fine and system currently appears to be stable, I haven't yet installed any missing drivers and have came home this evening, after leaving laptop running throughout the day, to find some 'worrying' event log entries all regarding my anti-malware configuration and signature :thumbsup: (I temporarily installed Microsoft essentials - kinda wanted a 3rd - or 4th opinion)

Help please?? My laptop has now been in-op for over a week and I really don't know anymore what's going on - should I be installing the 32 bit software?? What am I doing wrong?? Or do I simply have some virus which is re-spawning ...??? Somehow???

A little worried that if I take it to a shop for fixing - all will appear fine (as it does) until I get it home, then things will just start to fail again :inlove:

Please, any advice now would be very much appreciated.

Sandi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users