Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

locked out

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pawzisme

pawzisme

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hello Bleepers. I am presently working on a friends laptop because it is infected. The only infection I could find using Malwarebytes and AVG pointed to userinit.exe in system32. Neither application was able to delete it, so I went there and renamed the .exe file, and then restarted the computer. I expected the file to be replaced. However, now I can't get in. I get to the welcome screen and put in the password and it says it is logging me on - but then it says it is saving my settings and logs me off. The same thing happens if I go in via safe mode and if I use the admin account, which has no password. Switching the machine off completely and then trying does not change the situation.

I think I am going to have to go in via recovery console and replace that file - but not sure where to find the backup or what the syntax is. If push comes to shove I will take the drive out and do it that way, but thought it might be wise to ask your advice first in case there is something else I haven't thought of or do not know about. Hope you can help me :thumbsup:

EDIT: Moved from XP to more appropriate forum...replacing system files isn't going to solve malware infections, IMO ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2010 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pawzisme

pawzisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

moved to where Hamluis? It would be polite to tell me that much, though I would have thought I was in the right forum, it being XP and in line with what other people are writing about. However, just wanted to add that I have fixed the problem via recovery console, by replacing the userinit.exe, so others can do as much if they need to, and to say that after deleting the corrupted file that was infected, everything seems OK - it hasn't come back.

Ah, I see where I am now so you do not need to tell me that Hamluis- and replacing system files CAN solve malware infections, I would have thought you would know that from other posts I have seen on here over the years.

Edited by pawzisme, 08 April 2010 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users