Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW tOO?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wmauctions

wmauctions

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hi all

My question is a How Too

I have a wireless Netgear wireless setup in my house working fine the wireless adapter has four pouts on it.
I have built a workshop in my basement ant the wireless does not work there I want to hard wire a connection from wireless routher in house to basement.how do I get the computer in basement to reconize the connection??

If this makes any scence LOL :thumbsup:

Don :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

If you can figure out how long the cable needs to be you can order long, pre-terminated cables from folks like cat5ecableguy.com or many others. The downside is that any holes you need to drill to get from here to there need to be big enough for the cable end to go through, 1/2" or more. You can also buy raw Cat5 cable (Home Depot and others sell it in shorter lengths of 50' or 100') and run the cable then terminate it yourself (or find a friend with the tools and skills) with RJ45 connectors. Make sure you use one of the EIA-568 pinouts on both ends, choose A or B and stick with the same one. Just connecting one end to the router and the other to the Ethernet port on your PC should be enough to activate the connection. Just make sure your PC is set for automatic configuration (the default).

There is a pretty nice write-up with pictures hereof someone taking on a project virtually identical to what you need.

Edited by Orecomm, 08 April 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Just a thought as an alternative, you might look at Broadband over Powerline. I use this to feed my entertainment system at home and it works well where pulling wire is an issue (I have no accessible attic or crawlspace, and slab floors in most of the house). At under $100 for the first connection, and the capability to add more as needed, it makes a reasonable alternative. Newegg has a good selection of them here.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

Just a quick thought: when you say the wireless doesn't work there, do you mean you don't see your network? How far away is the router? Do you live in a 2 story house and its on the second floor, is what I mean when I ask how far away, not in feet? =)

You say Netgear wireless, can you give make and model of the router and the wireless device in the desktop?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 wmauctions

wmauctions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Netgear WGT 624 router is about two rooms away first floor, I did get a signal in basement but was very weak.

Don

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

What about the equipment in the desktop? Make and model please.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 wmauctions

wmauctions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

dell 4600 winxp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users