Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic email return

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hyarmenion

Hyarmenion

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hi all you experts!

For the past two days I have been having email problems. I can receive, but anything I send is automatically returned after a prolonged delay. I have checked with my service provider, but they were unable to help. However, they sent me a message and asked me to return it. When I did this, they could see the message was trying to get through to their server, but it couldn't get through.

Since my computer is IBM, and thinking something might have happened to the computer settings through automatic updates, I checked with them. But they were unhelpful dismissing it as a software problem and suggested I contact my email providers. However, since that meant wading through acres of online material, I am trying a faster route.

Computer details: IBM Intel Celeron

Email programs: Eudora 7.1
Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0

Note: I have the same problem of automatic return on both e-mail programs.

Any suggestions? Many thanks for your help.

Hyarmenion

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 08 April 2010 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

Are you getting any "trying to send, but so far we can't and will keep trying" or any other messages?

Who is your service provider?

#3 Hyarmenion

Hyarmenion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I get a message via AVG to this effect:

Cannot open SMTP connection to '24.222.0.20'
Receive: : The operation completed successfully. (0)

My service provider is EASTLINK, one of two NS cable/broadband providers here in NovaScotia.

Hyarmenion

H.

EDIT: Removed email address, posting such is not allowed. Posting such info on the Web opens you to much unsavory, unwanted behavior. Thanks ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

From what I read, it's an AVG email scanner problem.

I would try disabling outbound email scanning (or reinstalling AVG, if the problem began with current version).

Louis

AVG Email Scanner Problem

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2010 - 11:38 AM.

#5 Hyarmenion

Hyarmenion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for your help. I tried disabling the outgoing email scanner, but the result is I am blocked from sending anything at all.

I also looked at the solutions on the AVG Email Scanner problem page. Possibly the solution involving removing the whole SMTP server might work, but it seems to be written for a different version than mine which is AVG 9.0.

Any further suggestions would be most welcome.

Hyarmenion

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

Uninstall AVG...use something else (Avira Free gets my vote). That is, assuming that you have the problem as described that revolves around AVG.

There's no point in having troublesome (free) software installed on a system.

Louis

#7 Hyarmenion

Hyarmenion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. OK, I uninstalled AVG(for the third time) and installed Avira. However, when I try to send e-mail, I get a blocking message as follows:

"Error talking to SMTP server [554 blacklisted due to spamming or poor senderbase"

By the way, I get exactly the same error message when I have AVG installed and disconnect the E-mail scanner.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users