Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access internet Via Internet Explorer/Firewall Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tomirving

tomirving

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

I just recently had an issue not being able to access internet explorer. It gives me a message about firewall won't allow access. Never had that problem before. Funny thing is I can download my email via Outload and download my bank transactions via Quicken with no problem. I run the Windows troubleshooter that pops up and it tells me something about http not enabled or something like that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

What AV and firewall do you use?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 tomirving

tomirving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

AVG 9.0 and Windows XP firewall

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

it tells me something about http not enabled or something like that.

Please, post EXACT message.

See, if you have same issue in Safe Mode with Networking.

What IE version is it?

Are you posting from some other computer?

Do you have another browser installed to see, if that works?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 tomirving

tomirving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have tried in the Safe Mode and it still does the same thing. I believe I have IE 8.0 but will have to check later, I'm posting from my work comptuer right now. I don't have another browser installed. Found another post I think might help in regards to the firewall issue. I will post in quotes below and let me think if you think that might do the trick.

"In Windows Firewall, click the Exceptions tab. This displays the list of programs and services that Windows Firewall exempts from blocking incoming network connections for. If IE is not listed, click the Add Program button and use the Browse button to find it. (The file Iexplore.exe should be located at C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER.) Highlight it and click OK twice."

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

You can check that, but I doubt, Windows firewall would block IE.

Download and install Firefox: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
See, if that work, so we can narrow possible causes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 tomirving

tomirving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

Tried to access the mozilla link but couldn't. Ran the Network diagnostics and go the same "Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this cmputer. Check the firewall settings for the http port (80) HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21) "

Ran my AVG the other day and it detected 3 Trojan Horse virus. Tried to click the remove virus but it didn't seem to do it. I'm currently logged into my computer in safe mode with networking communicating with you from my laptop. As stated before, I can receive my email, download my quicken and what not on my desktop but it still will not connect to the internet.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

Ran my AVG the other day and it detected 3 Trojan Horse virus.

Please, start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 tomirving

tomirving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

Was able to resolve the issue by accessing tools/internet options/connections/LAN settings and unchecking a box that in some how some way got checked. I was able to connect to the net and everything works fine. Have no idea how it got changed, I never access those settings to change anything. I do recall that in some point, at some time, that issue happened a long time ago and the tech support at comcast was able to help me through the process. Wondering if it had something to do on the service providers end.

#10 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

Those settings were more than likely changed by the malware you detected. Best to follow Broni's instructions and start a new topic in the "Am I Infected?" forum to make sure you are clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users