Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-Aware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:00 AM

Hello,

I now have Ad-Aware SE :Build 1501 installed. I would like to download the newer 1.06 version. I can not figure out how to do it. When I go to the upgrade section it tells me to unzip the archive, replace the existing file and restart Ad-Aware/Ad Watch.

It then tells me I can also use the webupdate component implemented in Ad-Aware to install this update.

Here is the problem. I have NO idea what unzip means, nor what an archive is. I have looked all over for the webupdate component and can not find it. The only thing close to that, that I have found is the search for updates. :thumbsup:

I am running Windows XP 2000 SP2.

Does anyone out there have the patience to walk me through this ?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:11 AM

Why not just download the new version and do a fresh installation? You can download an unzipped file from PCWorld:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,7423,00.asp

Once you have downloaded the new version, uninstall the old version completely using the add/remove programs in Windows' Control Panel.
Then install the new version by clicking on the .exe file you downloaded. Run Ad-AwareSE and update its definitions.

Regards,
John

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 September 2005 - 05:15 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:16 AM

A zipped file is a file that is compressed to make it smaller. When you zip a file you create an archive. An archive can contain one or more files zipped together. Zipped files are called that because of the popularity of WinZip, one of the original free programs used to compress files but that is really a misnomer, similar to calling all tissue products Kleenex.

When you open an archive of zipped files you need to extract them. Extracting is the process of expanding the archive and moving the now uncompressed files to another location. When you download the zipped archive and open it, you would extract the archive to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Se by using the Extract button. If you were asked if you want to replace the existing file you would say yes.

The WebUpdate component and the search for updates are the same thing, and it is probably the easiest way to do what you are trying to do. Search for updates as you should normally do when opening Ad-Aware and if you need to update to a newer version you should be given that option. Ad-Aware will replace the old version with the new version as it performs the update.

Edit: Oops, I see our jgweed has also replied at the same time. Oh well, heres my response anyway.

Edited by Leurgy, 20 September 2005 - 07:20 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:56 AM

igweed, Leurgy,

Thanks to you both for you help !

I followed your instructions igweed and everything came out just fine. Leurgy, thank you for the explanations regarding zipped files and archives. I hope that one day I will be able to figure out how to use this computer with some semblance of proficiency.

Thanks Again,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 20 September 2005 - 10:49 AM.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Thank you for replying that all is well.

We apprieciate it.
It can also be helpful to others that may be experiencing a similiar problem.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 20 September 2005 - 11:00 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users