Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Processor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Tim

Dr Tim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:21 AM

Hello, I am Tim and in search of advice on what processor to buy. I am not looking for advice on how to install the processor, but I am worried on whether I will buy the right processor with the right socket etc for my computer.

Here is information of my motherboard and current processor (to get this information I used: System Information for Windows):

Motherboard:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Version: A02
CPU: AMD Athlon™ Processor LE-1660
CPU Socket: Socket AM2 (940)

CPU:

CPU #1: AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660
CPU Name: AMD Athlon™ Processor LE-1660
Number of Bits: 64
Platform Name: Socket AM2 (940)
Number of Cores: 1

I am looking for a CPU that will fit my computer without me having to upgrade any other parts, would like either duel-core or quad-core.
I also do not know where the best place is to buy one (for price and good selection), I live in the UK so preferably a UK site would be brilliant. :huh:

So, if someone could help me with these things, that would be brilliant and if you need any other information, please just ask!

- Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I have been looking at this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=CP-227-AM

And I was wondering whether that would be alright.

Edited by Dr Tim, 08 April 2010 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

Can you give us the exact model of your Dell+tag number? That 9850 is a 125 watt cpu and I am unsure of the thermals depending on your case/fans etc. You also need to see if there are BIOs updates available, and whether those updates support the CPU you want to run. Just because CPU sockets are the same doesn't mean any AM2 CPU is supported.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Dr Tim

Dr Tim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hello, thank you for your reply, here is the information you requested I think:

My service tag is: 1ZRCG4J

Its a dell Inspiron 546.

Edit: Just went on to dell website to look for updates to the BIOS, and there is version A11, should I download that? My BIOS version at the moment is A09.

Edited by Dr Tim, 08 April 2010 - 10:30 AM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

It should. I can find that system with a 9750, but not a 9850. The FSB/HT are the same between those CPUs, so it should be good to go if the BIOs recognizes the CPU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

Keep in mind that motherboards are often custom-made for major OEM's, like Dell, so the BIOS might not take more than a few specific CPU's. A new, very similar CPU may work though.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users