Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer powers on, but doesn't boot.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stevenjii

stevenjii

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

Quite a long read due to details of how my computer slowly failed to boot. Thanks a lot for reading and help! :thumbsup:

I'll begin with some basic information on my computer:

I recently upgraded my cpu from amd phenomx3 8450 2.1ghz to phenomx3 8750 2.4 ghz.

My motherboard is Asus M2N68-LA.
On that website it states that the mobo supports up to Phenom with Quad Core (AM2+) up to 9600. As my computer (bought it stock) came with the original phenomx3 8450 I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that my mobo would support my new cpu.

With that aside, my other specs are:
4gb ddr2 ram (stock)
300W Power supply
nvidia galaxy geforce 9600 gt (low power model)

So after my old cpu burnt out (fan and heatsink somehow unhinged itself and my cpu burnt out in like 1 minute) I replaced it with the 2.4ghz phenom x3 8750.
Immediately after I was able to power the computer, get past POST, and log in through the mobo's integrated video card display.
Afterwards I attempted to power on my computer with my video card but it failed to display. I unplugged various hardware and power connectors and was able to get the video displaying after 10-20 tries.

I thought after all this my computer was working fine. But after I turned my computer off and tried it again the next day, my computer would turn on fine, but the cpu fan and case fan would come to a stop and nothing would display on the monitor. After unplugging and replugging the computer would finally boot and display through my GPU. (When connected to the mobo's integrated video card it would power on much easier though).

Everytime I shut down my computer and turned it on a few hours later (turning off and on right after my computer would boot normally) I would have to go through the same process of unplugging (randomly might I add) and replugging multiple times to finally get my cpu fans to start spinning consistently and image to display on my monitor.

So this has gone on for about 2 days. Now when I power on my computer the fans continue to stop spinning, but even by unplugging hardware that takes up electricity I can not get the computer to turn on and POST.

My question

I'm wondering whether this has to do with my motherboard or PSU being defective. I am leaning towards PSU due to its low 300W output and due to the fact that I was able to successfully get my computer running and operating (was able to play World of Warcraft, browse internet, etc) a couple times before being unable to boot up at all. Also I read that POST takes up a substantial amount of power and after it power demand is much lower.

My motherboard could be a little damaged though. I've recently bent some capacitors slightly but nothing too much. When the mobo tries to POST I hear 6 continuous beeps.

Sorry for the long thread, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible. I'm planning to purchase a new power supply, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks a lot,
Steven

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! I hope you find this forum to be as useful and as beneficial as I have!

Did you try updating your BIOS first?

On the other hand, I've only recently realized how much difference a good PSU can make - Turns out a failing PSU can make all kinds of funny things happen.
Anyway, depending on your budget and case size, there are a couple I would recommend.

This Thermaltake I have used in several builds and has been a good, reliable, budget PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

I have used Corsair for other builds, but they are more expensive and have REALLY long cables. (Bad for mini towers, etc) They're great though!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139008

For what you are running, either of those should be sufficient, but if your budget allows, a higher rating will never hurt.

You might also try these steps from the ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/tr...SLanguage=en-us
(Select Motherboard, then "No Post")

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

FWIW: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_...SLanguage=en-us

The key thing that I take away from the above link...is that your motherboard is made for OEM adaptation. Therefore...it seems that you should look to OEM documentation regarding upgrading, BIOS updates, etc...rather than looking at the Asus website.

Louis

#4 stevenjii

stevenjii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

FWIW: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_...SLanguage=en-us

The key thing that I take away from the above link...is that your motherboard is made for OEM adaptation. Therefore...it seems that you should look to OEM documentation regarding upgrading, BIOS updates, etc...rather than looking at the Asus website.

Louis

Oops! I have posted this on various websites and copy and pasted the post. It seems that due to copy and pasting I somehow lost the hyperlink that I added with the HP website for my motherboard. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01357135 this is the website for my mobo, (it's actually narra3 forgot to add that sorry). I looked here for bios updates and cpu compatibility. There were no bios updates that I could find :/

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

I think those beeps are the key to this... You will probably need to look it up by the computer model vs by the motherboard. Even if you can't find updates for the BIOS, you should be able to find a manual that would explain the error code you're getting.

Replacing the PSU might help, but I doubt it will resolve this problem.

#6 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

a 300 watt power supply with a quad core and 4 gb of ram and a 9600 gt WOW
what kind of power supply is it
that would me my assumption right there.

Edited by meuchel, 08 April 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#7 stevenjii

stevenjii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

It's actually a tri-core phenomx3.

The power supply was a stock one with my HP Pavilion a6530f PC.

#8 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

It's actually a tri-core phenomx3.

truely sorry i mis-read you said it SUPPORTS a quad core
not that that is what you had in there.

yeah hp have a notoriety for under powered PSU's

recommended brands
enermax
ocz
antec
thermaltake

Edited by meuchel, 09 April 2010 - 12:13 PM.

#9 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Yeah dude, PSU for sure. I have had to replace mine twice in the last year (budjet shopping can actually waste money, lol), and both times it cause compleatly different problems.
I would recommend getting at least 500W.
This is my current PSU, my brother has used a computer with this daily for the last year and it hasn't quite on him yet.
Hope it you get it all worked out

#10 stevenjii

stevenjii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

Thank's for all the support guys!

Yeah, I read about not getting those budget power supplies as it will end up costing you more money, haha.

I'm going to purchase a Corsair 650 Watt PSU

#11 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

Let us know how it comes out - Corsair makes a phenomenal PSU. Not that I will often need this feature, but they auto adjust for different voltages (i.e. 110 vs 220). I believe that is why my computer has managed to stay on even when the power has flashed causing the clocks to reset - it's totally bizarre! I never expected to be as happy with what I thought was just a minor piece to the puzzle!

#12 stevenjii

stevenjii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

Well, the power supply didn't solve the issue. Same thing happens when I hook it up to the motherboard. I bench tested it as well and same thing happened. I think the motherboards the problem as I just bought the cpu and it worked for awhile.

So I'm assuming its the motherboard.

If I were to buy a new motherboard with a nvidia chipset that was identical to my old motherboard (nvidia geforce 6150SE/nvidia 430, also I was confused, are both of these part of the chipset? does that mean if i were to get an "identical" chipset i would have to satisfy both 6150se and 430, or could i just buy a board with the 430 or 6150se?) could I just plug it in and play without doing anything else like OS reinstalling and reformatting?

If I were to buy a motherboard with a newer chipset, but still from nvidia could i still just plug and play? Or would i have to go through a more elabarote procedure?

The main problem for me is that I can't boot up my computer and do anything with my old hard drive and I don't have a Vista Installation as my computer was OEM and it did not supply me with any discs.

Thanks guys

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

I think it's always iffy, but I'm just a user...not a professional, no personal experience other than my own on systems I have owned or purchased as gifts to others.

Theoretically, if the board is identical...there's no problem with drivers, not sure about settings.

In any case, I think this is worth reading: Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html.

Louis

#14 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

Windows will freak out if it's not exactly the same motherboard, as in make and model. I've done this before, but promptly wiped the drive as it was almost completely unuseable. If you can find the same one, get it! It's probably worth searching ebay, etc. There still might be some hardware differences if it is a newer version, but most things should work themselves out. If you change too much hardware, supposedly the OEM version freaks out and will want you to buy a new copy. I don't use the OEM version at home, so I can't tell you for sure. Worst case scenario you'll have to drop $100 for Windows 7 - probably worth doing anyway!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users