Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway BIOS question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

I recently acquired a Gateway MP6954 laptop that I would like to upgrade to Windows 7. The laptop is a Core Duo 1.6GHz with 2GB of memory. It is currently running BIOS version 77.05, but the most recent BIOS version is 77.12 from 4/27/2007. Does anyone out there know if I upgrade to version 77.12 if this BIOS version will support Windows 7? According to the Gateway support website, it will work for Vista, but nothing is said about 7. Any information you can offer would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

the BIOS has nothing to do with what OS you can run, that is more to do with what hardware your running.

Windows 7 is less system intensive then vista, you should be able to run it without any problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

No, you do not need to do a BIOS upgrade, like the_patriot09 said. In fact, doing BIOS upgrades should only be done in cases of dire need (if the situation calls for it), as a failed BIOS upgrade (power loss, general error, etc..) can render your computer unbootable forever. Doing BIOS upgrades is risky business and only should be done if you have to (i.e. system won't recognize some hardware or something).

One thing, though, before you do the installation...run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your system will support Windows 7. With hardware that old, it's possible it might not run that great.

Also note: there are no Windows 7 drivers for your computer available from Gateway's website (only Vista drivers) for reasons stated above (old hardware). Windows 7 will still run just fine, but your touchpad will likely have no fancy features (scroll, zoom, etc..), your graphics card driver will just be a generic one Windows uses (unless it finds one in Windows Update, which is possible), and other little things like that (Aero will probably be disabled). You might be able to get those Windows 7 drivers from the individual hardware manufacturers' websites, but once again, with hardware that old, the chances are slim.

Personally, I think you'd have better luck installing XP on that particular computer. Yes, Windows 7 will run on it, but you won't get the full experience.

If you do decide to continue with Windows 7, be sure to do a clean install of Windows 7, NOT an upgrade. In-place upgrades are notorious for creating bugs and glitches in the operating system that can only be resolved with a clean install (so you might as well do one to begin with).

Windows 7 is a great operating system, but you can only do so much with older hardware. You are more than welcome to try Windows 7 on it, but I would hate for you to spend your hard-earned money paying for Windows 7, only to find out it doesn't do so well on your particular computer. It SHOULD run okay, but there are no guarantees.

Just thought I should let you know what you're getting into here. I've seen too many people take the plunge into Windows 7, only to find it runs like crap on their outdated computer (and understandably so).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:35 AM

Funny you should mention the problems people have upgrading to Windows 7. That's actually how I got my laptop. A guy I know tried to do an upgrade install instead of a clean install, and the whole computer crashed. He used the recovery disk to rebuild things and lost everything. He said it ran fine for a couple days, but then started acting up on him again. So, he chucked it and bought a new Sony Vaio. I bought the laptop off him for $75 plus helping him transfer the music from his iPod to his new laptop. I've had it for a few days now, and so far its running great.
Yes, I already ran the Upgrade Advisor and there were a few issues, but nothing that said it wouldn't run. I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate, and so far things are running smoothly. I have full Aero capability, my video (while crappy to begin with) doesn't show any appreciable degredation, and the wireless came right up. Oh, and the touch pad scrolls like a champ, and I didn't know how to make it zoom to begin with so that doesn't bother me.
Thank you for the BIOS information. I try to keep my computers as up to date as possible, and just wanted to make sure it wouldn't mess anything up. I always make an image of my hard drive before I do anything major (like upgrading the BIOS) so if I bork anything up I can just restore with the image.
Once again, thank you.

Oh, by the way. I didn't actually pay anything for my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, but at the same time it is not a bootleg. It is 100% legit. That's all I have to say about that.

Edited by slycer, 08 April 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

I see...

Looks like you did your homework after all! :huh:

Just a side note: imaging your hard drive before a BIOS update will not do you any good if the BIOS update kills your computer (unless you apply the backup to a different computer). If the BIOS becomes corrupted after an unnecessary update, a hard drive image won't matter, as you won't even be able to boot at all (even off a CD/DVD).

Bottom line: don't mess with the BIOS.

Enjoy Windows 7!! :huh:

#6 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:43 AM

Ah, that I was not aware of, but with what the_Patriot09 said earlier it makes sense. Thankfully I've never run into that problem. I actually do have some experience with Windows 7. My computer at work runs it, and I have a dual boot system at home with XP MCE 2005 and Windows 7. So I had some idea what to expect. But again, Thank you for the help.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

You're welcome! :huh:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

the BIOS has nothing to do with what OS you can run, that is more to do with what hardware your running.

Windows 7 is less system intensive then vista, you should be able to run it without any problem.

Actually the BIOS has everything to do with how the operating system works. For example, when SP1 for Windows XP came out. I had upgraded to it and immediately received a BSOD on numerous installs. I then upgraded my BIOS, and that solved the BSOD and I could then use my computer.

So yes a BIOS has everything to do with how the OS runs.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

hope it works well, just to warn you though, doing a disc image of the hard drive will not rescue your BIOS if your bork that. theyre two totally different systems. unless the motherboard has some sort of BIOS backup utility on the hard drive, which is rare in a laptop.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

hope it works well, just to warn you though, doing a disc image of the hard drive will not rescue your BIOS if your bork that. theyre two totally different systems. unless the motherboard has some sort of BIOS backup utility on the hard drive, which is rare in a laptop.

Exactly.

So don't mess with the BIOS unless you absolutely have to. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users