Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation of Avast on Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CHIPPERmathews

CHIPPERmathews

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

When i install Avast on windows 32 bit amd 64 athlonx2 4600, do i have to use ctrl-alt-del- /task manager and close programs?

If so which ones are necessary, being that no applications or processes are being used at the time?

thanks

uninstallimg ca av

have malwarebytes installed, spybot, spywareblaster and online scan super anti spyware, spywareblaster is the only real time.

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

I generally close as many apps as I can when installing an anti-virus which helps to ensure the installation goes smoothly. Some programs and security tools monitor installation activity and can cause problems. You need to reboot after installing avast and the programs you temporarily close will startup normally afterwards.

BTW, SpywareBlaster does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again. SpywareBlaster blocks spyware tracking cookies, restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone" and prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.

If you are not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users