Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to View Event Log Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blackfish

Blackfish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

There is a super long story to why I am hooking up my HD through USB to view the log files but it ends with my computer not booting at all.

What I am trying to do is view the log files from my other HD through a USB hook up. I found the files here:

I:\WINDOWS\system32\config

But when I use the Event Viewer to open them I receive this message:

Unable to complete the operation on "Log Name".
The event log file is corrupted.

So, I even downloaded Event Log Explorer to see if I could open them and it does "open the file" but shows no contents BUT there is definitely contents because you can open the file as .txt and view the encryption.

I'm desperate to know what is in the log files because I have literally troubleshot every piece of hardware on my rig with the same result even though the hardware is working properly.

Any help on how to open these files would be appreciated I would even be willing to post them or send them for anyone who thinks they might have some software that could do it.

Thank you for your time,
~Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

You cannot run...system files from one Windows install...from a differnt install of Windows.

Event log is a system function.

Louis

#3 Blackfish

Blackfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

You cannot run...system files from one Windows install...from a differnt install of Windows.

Event log is a system function.

Louis

Thanks Louis that explains why I'm not able to access them. Does anyone know how I might be able view those files in another way? I'm desperate here and out of troubleshooting ideas. Would a Linux system be able to access and read the log files?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

If Windows is not working properly on a drive...I don't believe that a system function such as EV can be worked around by something other than Windows.

From what I see...if log data has not been exported in a given format (.txt, .csv, etc.), then there's no way to access log data other than the EV function.

Aside from somthing like Corrupted Event Log Recovery.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users