Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP3 crashing after clean install.....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension

Ascension

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi all, I have been using an old computer HP A1220N for saving TS folders and I know I was very close to filling the 200gb hard drive and I went ahead and loaded some more without thinking and that is when my computer started to act up. It was just frozen and was not rebooting. Eventually with a hard reset the computer tried to boot up but I kept getting a ntokrnl.exe file missing or corrupt error on a black screen. I went ahead and purchased xp home sp3 since my computer came from HP with it installed and I never had recovery cd's (never made them). I ran the cd to boot into windows and tried to replace the missing file... Then I started getting this error: system32.hal.dll missing or corrupt. So after trying for awhile to fix it via repair I gave up and reformatted the HDD and did a clean install... Well it tooks about 50 tries to get it to install and boot. Throughout the install process the computer would constantly reboot and start over at the 39 min mark. I even got it to within two minutes of completion several times. Well now the computer is crashing every couple of minutes.. It will lock up and auto reboot or it comes up with a ialmrnt5 display error message.. I believe that what caused the problem was over filling my HDD causing windows files to corrupt... Now I am in a bind because it seems like the driver for the onboard intel chip set is no longer available.. Here are my computer specs... Hoping somebody has some insight, TIA.

Standard Memory 512 MB = 256 MB (removable) + 256 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory 4.0 GB
Memory Expansion 4 sockets
Memory Comments PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. Supports Dual Channel DDR2.
CPU Type 2.93GHz Intel Pentium 4 516
Model Comments Intel 915GV Chipset.

HP/Compaq motherboard name: Goldfish3-GL8E

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:57 AM

If you did a clean install and wiped the hard drive and it is still crashing then it cannot be from over loading the drive. XP's typical behavior when the drive is close to being overloaded is to warn you and slow down as it will down size the paging file to suit the remaining space. Also if you did run out it would not allow you to write a file that would not fit. The more likely case is that your hard rive is failing in some way. I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive in order to verify it is okay first.

Drivers for your chipset are here: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-011594.htm
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Ascension

Ascension
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hey thanks. I actually just built a new pc instead... I was able to install xp right away without issue. It was either the mobo or the HDD cause I reused the ram and it was fine. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users