Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 and XP mixed network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

I started out with an XP Workgroup with 5-6 machines in the network. Had everything working, very stable, could share files and printers no problem.

I replaced one of the XP machines with a single Win 7 machine. At first it was no problem, I just added the Win 7 machine to the Workgroup. Over the past few months, I have been upgrading the various machines on the network to Win 7 and things were still great.

Now I have 4 Win 7 machines and 2 XP machines on my network and things are no longer rosy. The Win 7 machines can see the other Win 7 machines, can see and access shares and can share printers. However, the XP machines are having problems and I can't seem to get a handle on what the problem is.

I have the same user account with pw on all machines. The XP machines can see each other on the network but may or may not see the Win 7 machines depending on the phase of the moon or whatever. Sometimes the XP machines can see the Win 7 machines but can't access the shares or the printer but other times they can. Sometimes the XP machines pop up a message saying they don't have access to the Workgroup.

The point is things are not consistent. At this moment I have an XP machine that has access to the Workgroup and can see all of the machines on the network, XP and Win 7 (there's even a Mac for good measure). The XP machine can access all of the machines on the network except one Win 7 machine, which happens to have the printer that I want to share attached to it.

I've been thru all the networking options, sharing, etc... I can't find anything different about this one machine but it doesn't seem to matter anyway since an hour from now things may be different.

Anybody got any ideas on how to narrow this down? It's so inconsistent that it has me baffled. I can play with it and finally get it working then an hour or a day later it won't work again.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

I have everything working for now. I ended up installing a trial version of Cisco Network Magic on the machine that had the printer I wanted to share. I used NM to share the printer (it simply reported it was already shared). After that I was able to access the Win 7 machine from the XP machine and add the printer to the XP machine.

It works for now. We'll see if it still works tomorrow!
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Haha...yeah, networking can be a real pain. It is supposed to be "easy" using the new Windows 7 Workgroup....but it's still just as much a pain as it's always been. Like you said, you have to fight with it for a couple hours to get it working, only to find it not working again 2 days later. :thumbsup:

Fortunately, I was able to get my roommate's laptop (XP) to print through the network to my Dell laptop (W7), as well as my netbook (dual-boot: XP and 7). Just took a lot of head-scratching...and time, obviously.

I hope your problems stay resolved. :flowers:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users