Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple offers iPad Wi-Fi fix

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mosca

Mosca

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

CNN article

If you google "macbook pro dropping wifi connection" you get 388,000 hits, going back to 2005 (I didn't look past the 3rd page, maybe some are older). It seems like it takes a new product that emphasizes wifi connectivity to get the fix? I dunno.

I love my Macs, but to me Apple is just another big corporation. If it works for most people, but not you, then it isn't really their problem, it's yours. After trying about a dozen "solutions" I solved my Macbook wireless problem by getting a long network cable. Perhaps the fixes recommended here (when it suddenly became a problem for many new users) will work for me and others who have had this problem ignored by Apple.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

thats funny that is really not so much a fix as it is a couple of bad suggestions haha
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 isaved007

isaved007

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

Well, Apple is a hardware manufacturer, which means they have a lot more incentive to sell you a new and improved Macbook than fix a problem with previously released hardware. If it's not something that will stop many people from buying a current SKU, they don't feel much pressure to fix it. Unless they decide to fix it to maintain their image; they do that sometimes.

My own Macbook's inability to even recognize any type of WPA2 signal, forcing me to enable WPA-PSK, is infuriating at least. And heaven forbid I do something ridiculous like change the password to my network at any time to increase security; that's just silly :guitar: .

Anyone else find CNN's description of the iPad hilarious?

The iPad, a touch-screen, tablet-style computer that occupies digital turf somewhere between a laptop and a smartphone, went on sale Saturday.

The iPad is hardly what I would describe as a computer... No OS, no outside applications, no ability to plug in external devices, etc. And it's not like a phone at all, given that it's too big to carry around and has no phone service.

And those are some hilarious tips; "making sure the Wi-Fi router is plugged in and the power is turned on" is the last thing they seem to expect users to be able to think of on their own.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right to bash all products and services offered by Apple, partly because I don't like them, and partly because I fail to understand the demographic that buys Apple's products. Fell free to bash Microsoft products and services in my face; I like hearing how wrong I am about everything.

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

The iPad is hardly what I would describe as a computer... No OS, no outside applications, no ability to plug in external devices, etc. And it's not like a phone at all, given that it's too big to carry around and has no phone service.

And those are some hilarious tips; "making sure the Wi-Fi router is plugged in and the power is turned on" is the last thing they seem to expect users to be able to think of on their own.

Re-read the bold part.

Done? Good.

You can't be serious, right?

The iPad does indeed have an OS - how do you think it operates in the first place? Second, there are also hundreds if not thousands of "outside" apps, if you will, you just have to know what to do. Not to mention, the "camera dock" isn't just for cameras... You should try researching a bit.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

He is talking about third party outside apps that are not regulated by apple.. and the os he is talking about the fact that it is a proprietary os that is regulated and limited by Apple. :guitar:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

He is talking about third party outside apps that are not regulated by apple.. and the os he is talking about the fact that it is a proprietary os that is regulated and limited by Apple. :guitar:

Nonsense. Rules are meant to be bent, others broken.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

well the only thing that is it is in apples aggrement when bought so it is not against the rules it is yours you bought it you can do what you want with it :guitar: just like my ipod touch is jailbroken and the ipad can also be jailbroken :guitar: See: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/ipa...y-for-download/ :blink:

You have to jail break it to install third party apps not approved by apple :wacko:

Edited by computerxpds, 24 May 2010 - 03:42 PM.

sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users