Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files being listed by filesize (instead of by name) in applications' "Select File" windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gladius

gladius

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

I noticed this change a month or two ago. When in Photoshop, Dreamweaver, or several other apps, and from within the program I'm trying to open a file or link to one (in Dreamweaver's case), they're now listed by filesize (instead of by name) in the folder. Obviously this makes it hard to find the one I'm looking for.

When I manually select "Arrange Icons by... Name", it re-sorts them but resets every time I'm in the "Select/Open File" dialogue again. Browsing folders through Windows Explorer from My Computer does not have this problem - files are sorted correctly - only in applications does this come up. Have tried setting Sort By Filename as the default, but can't get anything to stick.

Never seen this happen before, and it's getting fairly aggravating as it's a frequent task in my workday. Any ideas what the problem could be?

PS - I should note that this is not the virus-infected computer in my other recent post - that's my laptop. This desktop is totally clean as far as I know, have scanned with multiple programs and aside from this problem there's no unusual behavior.

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

I've seen this phenomenon...and I think it's only with music/graphics/video-editors which I have installed.

I've assumed that chkdsk /r needed to be run on my C: and that's been followed by normal behavior. May not work for you, but no harm in trying it.

My last episode with this was 72 hours ago :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 gladius

gladius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, it didn't appear to work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users