Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop beeps and constantly types 'u'

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Valdaquende

Valdaquende

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

I recently received a laptop with a problem I hadn't encountered before. The problem has several symptoms:

1) If I right-click on the desktop or in any window, the system starts beeping and beeps until I left-click somewhere

2) If I click on the 'Start' button, the machine goes into 'Shut Down' and shuts down

3) If I open a text entry window, or if a windows opens with a text entry field (such as one would find in a program installer routine), the text field immediately starts filling with the letter 'u', which is repeated endlessly.

When I discovered the problem with the constant 'u' entry, it explained most of the other behaviours. For example, if I click on the 'Start' button, the invisible 'u's the laptop is generating are the keyboard shortcut to the 'Shut Down' panel and then the keyboard shortcut, in that panel, to actually shut down. Similarly, the constant beeping is, I believe, caused by the overflow error in fields and documents or by the inappropriate typing of the letter 'u' when there is no action that can be performed by it.

At first, I thought this was a hardware problem, so I tried a number of things:
• I tried starting in Safe Mode; it still happens.
• Thinking it might be a stuck key or a short in the keyboard or the touch-pad or its buttons, I physically disconnected them, replacing them with an external keyboard and mouse. It still happens.
• I tried flashing the BIOS but this did not help.
• I tried but could not reinstall the chipset divers as there is a field, in the installer, that asks where you want them expanded to and the second it appears, it starts filling up with 'u's.
• I tried resetting the power bus (by removing battery and adapter and holding down the power button for 1 minute) but this did not help.

Then, thinking that this might be some sort of virus or spyware, I tried to install utilities to remove any malware on the machine, but invariably the installer wants to confirm the install folder location and from that moment on, the world is filled with 'u'.

I contacted HP/Compaq (the mfr) to see if they could shed any light on the matter. They said it was a spyware problem but, since the laptop is past the warranty period, out-of-warranty support was all they could offer.

I can see no way to install anything that will eliminate the spyware without running into the text entry issue. Is there some way to disable this so that I can start cleaning up the system?

Thanks in advance,

Valdaquende (proud donor)

Edited by Budapest, 07 April 2010 - 04:54 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users