- I downloaded SmartDeFrag (smartdefragsetup.exe) from Cnet, but the install got hung up, then wouldn't cancel. Windows installer kept reopening, "preparing to install..." and would hang. I tried deleting the downloaded setup program, combing through files maybe associated with it, etc. Tried to do a restore, but curiously there are no restore points.
- I rebooted, and at the login window selected my username. The screen went black, with only the Windows Installer box, "preparing to install," frozen. No cursor, CtlAltDel didn't work, Had to power off at the box. Same thing on reboot.
- In safe mode, I have run a few anti-malware programs: eset (4 hrs), reg repair, spybot, AVG, (none of which found anything significant) and now DDS and HijackThis. If you need them, I'll put the logs in a separate post. I now suspect this is not a malware issue.
- I downloaded and successfully installed SmartDeFrag, thinking that might cancel the other install. No.
- Windows Installer CleanUp Utility won't run in safe mode.
- And: Even in safe mode, when I open a program or explorer, there is a very brief appearance of the Installer box as the program opens. Spooky.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Edited by bilham, 07 April 2010 - 12:16 PM.