Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Movie Maker / Converting MP4s

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CannibalZ3

CannibalZ3

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Ladies and Gents,

I've just gotten a Flip HD cam. It's a great little thing. The problem is that Windows Movie Maker, the software that came on the computer, will not accept MP4 format. I've tried converting (using Magic Video Converter) to AVI, but all I get is audio without video. So I download codec packs (ffdshow, Divx H.264, etc), with no result. I've got to be doing something wrong.

So, here are my questions:
1. Is there a free movie editing software that will let me play with MP4s, making the whole problem moot?
2. Is there a better file converter? Magic, in addition to not working well, constantly reminds me to pay, which is mildly irritating
3. Is there a better set of codecs? Maybe that's something I'm not doing to activate them?

I'm leaving in a couple of days for a place without internet, where I'll stay and (try to) put together some great videos. But I've got to get this up and running beforehand. I'm only semi computer-literate (limited to big shiny icons and unadvanced preference menus). The people of this site have saved my ass from a number of computer ailments before, and Google brings so much conflicting information on the issue I'm not sure where to start. Can you help me?

UPDATE: MP4-AVI converters seem to work fine -- I can play the converted AVIs in Windows Media Player, but still no image in Movie Maker. WTF?

Edited by CannibalZ3, 07 April 2010 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

VLC player is able to convert video files, and it has support for MP4 so in theory it should convert MP4's. I don't know cause I never tried. But VLC player is free and stable so you can't really go wrong.

Alternatively, you might look at Virtual Dub and Virtual Dub Mod. They are advanced, open source video manipulating utilities, but I don't know if they are still updated and have support for mp4's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users