Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with IE 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul62

Paul62

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

I am using Windows Vista en IE 8. Since last week, I am experiencing several problems with IE :
- I can't login on some websites (after typing my login and password and pressing the button 'login', the program doesn't react)
- Another example : I can't download Adobe FlashPlayer. After pressing the button 'Agree and download', the system isn't doing anything.

What could be the cause?
I ran several scans and I indeed found some malware (Trojans), but everything was removed. But the problems continue.

Another symptom : when pressing the button 'BB Code Help' on this screen, nothing happens...

Thanks a lot in advance for useful hints !

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Have you tried using Firefox? I find that IE8 has a lot of problems, including I can't download anything with it, and went to Firefox. If you have the same problems with Firefox then... gee, I'm not sure. Maybe post in the "Am I infected? What do I do?" section.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Paul62

Paul62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

thanks for the hint. I installed Mozilla Firefox and with this browser, I have no problems at all. So it is clearly a problem of IE, probably damaged by malware? How can I remove IE and do a clean reinstall?

Kind regards,
Paul

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

See if this helps you How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows Vista and Windows XP

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:55 AM

I don't know if it's malware related or not. I have always had problems with it. Even when I was using XP, which is why I took if off of XP. I now run Windows7 64 bit and had problems from the minute I went on line the first time. That's when I switched. My wife still prefers IE8 so she uses it. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 Paul62

Paul62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

See if this helps you How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows Vista and Windows XP

Thanks for the link. However, I don't really find here how to reinstall IE 8 under Vista.
But I checked my updates and uninstalled the update containing the Vista Service Pack 2. Now I am reinstalling it. Will see what this will give.

Kind regards,
Paul

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:51 AM

Paul,
You're absolutely right that Microsoft kb explains the repair of Internet Explorer but falls short on the removal and reinstall of Internet Explorer.
The upgrade of Internet Explorer to 8 was a separate upgrade. That's why you won't find it listed in programs.

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8,
go to Control Panel,
and click on Uninstall Programs link or Programs and Features icon.
Then on Tasks pane on the left, click on View installed updates link.
Locate and select Windows Internet Explorer 8 in the list of installed updates, and then click on the Uninstall button.
Click on Yes when asked that are you sure want to uninstall the update.

This will roll you back to Internet Explorer 7. To reinstall download copy of Internet Explorer 8 or turn on Automatic updates.

Internet Explorer 8: Help and support

tork

Edited by tork, 09 April 2010 - 06:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users