Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox will not open pdf files

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 greystoke

greystoke

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

I have the proper Adobe Acrobat plugin, in plugin file I found nppdf32.dll, but everytime I click a pdf file nothing happens. What do I do?

My pc has the latest version of Adobe Reader 9.3.1. I cannot find a plugin for this reader.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

9.3.1 is not the latest version.

Update your Adobe Reader here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

and see if that fixes your problem. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

Your Adobe link is for 9.3. I used it yesterday and then it updated itself to 9.3.1. At any rate this is not the plugin used in firefox. The plugin is adobe acrobat, which mozilla claims works well with Firefox 3.6.3. However, I have both in my pc and pdf files will not open in firefox. They open just fine in IE.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

Oh, I'm sorry...you're right. 9.3.1 is the latest version (currently). I must have gotten the version number mixed up with another program. My bad. :thumbsup:

Okay, you're right about the Firefox plugin, too. Mine says "Adobe Acrobat 9.3.0.148 - Adobe PDF Plug-in For Firefox and Netscape".

The thing is, if you install Adobe reader, you should get the plugin, as well (see here). I'm not sure why yours isn't working right...

Try this:

Download and install Revo Uninstaller. Use it to completely remove Adobe Reader from your computer. Then, using Firefox, download and install Adobe Reader again. That should get you the plugin.

Like I said, I don't know why it isn't working. The only thing I know to do is to take it off completely and reinstall using the steps I just gave.

#5 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

OK I followed your instructions.
I do not have an Adobe Reader plugin. I cannot read pdf files.
After opening Reader 9.3.1 I opened preferences and noted everything about the internet was checked properly. Reader did not get me a plugin. Mozilla help pages don't explain how to get it either.
While I have you, another topic, I posted a request for help in March "Firefox will not open", after over 170 views I have not received any help. I have to end Firefox processes manually or restart to get version 3.6.3 to open.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Can you give me a list of all the Firefox addons (aka extensions) you have installed?

Edited by keyboardNinja, 08 April 2010 - 09:32 AM.

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Possiblity the plugin information file is corrupted. Maybe this will help:

If about:pluginsdoesn't list the Adobe Acrobat plugin, the file that stores plugin information may be damaged. To fix this, close your Mozilla application and delete the file "pluginreg.dat" from the profile folder location (the file will be regenerated). Reopen your Mozilla application and recheck the about:plugins list.

Adobe Reader - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
About:plugins - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Profile folder - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

#8 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

Deleted "pluginreg.dat", no help. Still opens pdf in IE but not in Firefox.
List of extensions and plugins:
Adobe Acrobat 9.3.0.148, Adobe DLM, AI Roboform, Java Console, Personas, Realplayer Browser Record plugin, Zone Alarm Toolbar, GetPlusPlus for Adobe, Silverlight,snapfish,superadblocker, win. genuine advantage,Real player G2 live connect,Real player HTML 5 video shim, shockwave flash for director,Itunes App. detector,meadco's neptune,windows media player,movenetworks quantum media player,mozilla default plugin, picasa, quicktime, real juke box Real player version.

Quite a list and I have no idea what half of them are. Hope it helps you find the problem.

It really sucks having to use IE for pdf documents and/also having to use task manager to shut down firefox prior to opening it.
I either have to restart the pc or use task manager everytime.

Troubles me that after posting this problem no one has ever offered a solution. Over 180 viewers.

#9 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

I just did a search and found report of zone alarm tool bar causing problems with firefox and opening pdf files. Can't view pdf file in firefox - ZoneAlarm User Community
The users solution in the above thread was to uninstall and reinstall zone alarm declining to install the zone alarm tool bar.
Or a simpler method is to go to Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs and Click on Zone Alarm toolbar and click remove.
Download Problems - ZoneAlarm User Community

#10 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

tork, thank you. It worked!
Now please take a look at my other problem. On March 28th I posted "Firefox will not open".
Many viewers, no answers.
In order to open Firefox I must do one of two things first:
1. Restart the pc.
2. Go to task manager and find firefox, then click end processes.

I have to do this each time, no matter if I wait 15 minutes of 3 hours for firefox to properly close down. Any ideas?

Edited by greystoke, 09 April 2010 - 11:12 AM.

#11 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

greystoke,

Maybe the problem with firefox is another addon which is causing a conflict and hanging firefox from closely out properly, hence you are needing to close out firefox from the Task Manager.

Try loading firefox without addons, which is called firefox safe mode, here's how:

If open, close out the firefox browser. Make sure it is not running in Task Manager before going to the next step.
Click Start
Click Run
In the Run box type firefox -safe-mode
Click OK
There will be a popup window entitled Firefox Safe Mode
Click Continue.
Your home page will load.
Then shut down firefox. Does it shut down properly or hang?
If Firefox closes properly in safe mode, then the next step is to start looking at an addon as causing the problem. How you would do that is to go into Firefox Extensions and disable all but one and then add them back one at a time until you isolate the troublemaker.
To disable addons
Open Firefox browser
Click Tools
Click Addons
Click Extensions
Click on each addon in turn and click that addon's corresponding Disable button. Restart Firefox to make the changes.

The process to enable the addons is the same as above except click Enable button, instead of Disable button.
Restart firefox after enabling an addon and see if firefox closes down properly. Keep enabling an addon, restarting and noting when firefox fails to shut down properly and then you've isolated the bad addon, or there may be more than one bad addon.

tork

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

That is excellent advice for troubleshooting problematic addons, tork. Good job. :flowers:

I also believe greystroke's problem with Firefox not closing correctly is directly caused by an addon. I had this problem with the Ghostery addon. It pissed me off for about a month, then I finally figured it out. :thumbsup:

#13 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

That is excellent advice for troubleshooting problematic addons, tork. Good job. :inlove:

I also believe greystroke's problem with Firefox not closing correctly is directly caused by an addon. I had this problem with the Ghostery addon. It pissed me off for about a month, then I finally figured it out. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback, keyboardNinja
The :flowers: Ghostery :trumpet: addon got me too

tork

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, they got it fixed a couple months ago, but I never installed it again. "Once bitten, twice shy", as they say. I have NoScript anyway, so Ghostery is kind of pointless. :thumbsup:

Let us know if you figure out which addon is causing your problems, greystroke. :flowers:

#15 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

tork, thank you. It worked!
Now please take a look at my other problem. On March 28th I posted "Firefox will not open".
Many viewers, no answers.
In order to open Firefox I must do one of two things first:
1. Restart the pc.
2. Go to task manager and find firefox, then click end processes.

I have to do this each time, no matter if I wait 15 minutes of 3 hours for firefox to properly close down. Any ideas?

greystoke,
Are you still there? Did troubleshooting firefox addons help you?
Let us know how it's going
tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users