Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Removal Tools for Anti-virus and Internet broke

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shad

Shad

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:50 AM

I run Windows XP and previously used AVG 9.0 trial but downgraded to AVGfree after it expired. I have Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware also installed.

So my computer was having some issues with the System process taking up WAY too much memory and not letting me use any of it (in the 93,000kb range). This started when I downgraded from the trial version of AVG to AVGfree. I assumed this had something to do with either AVG or my firewall so I double checked my security settings. After turning off all of my available firewalls I found out my computer still had the McAfee firewall running... and I have not used McAfee in over a year. Since I had previously uninstalled McAfee with Add/Remove programs I came here and downloaded a removal tool that I found in the forums to get rid of it. And while I was at it I figured I'd run the Avast! and Norton removal tools as well since I have used those programs in the past. I ran all of these tools and my computer was fine, though my system process was still acting up. At this point I figured it was AVG causing the problem so I uninstalled that using Add/remove while in safe mode (since I was in that anyway from using the removal tools). Since restarting my compter will not connect to the internet. I ran a diagnostic utility that comes with windows (which for some reason I cannot find now) and it said that my hardware was connected and functioning but for some reason it will not connect to HTTP, HTTPS or anything else. I tried to add a new connection via the wizard but in that window it says that my wireless adaptor is disconnected (which it isn't). The good news is my system process is now functioning normally! Yay! :thumbsup:

I'm unsure how to proceed... Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shad

Shad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

Update!

I checked out my device properties this morning and discovered that AVG has done some naughty work with my drivers. It deleted and installed its own "miniport drivers" on all of my networking hardware. On top of that it duplicated my wireless adaptor four times. The device manager reads as follows.

1394 Net Adapter
HP EN1207D-TXPCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter - AVG miniport driver
Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter - AVG miniport driver
Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #2
Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #2 - AVG miniport driver
Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #3 - AVG minport driver
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - AVG minport driver
WAN Miniport(IP) - AVG miniport driver

This wouldn't be a problem since all I would think I have to do is install different drivers... unfortunately my computer thinks uninstalling any of the drivers is bad. It said all of the above hardware is necessary to boot my computer including the copies of the wireless adapter. Also, reinstalling AVG is not an option, since you need an active internet connection to do so. I tried.

On a side note, I am slightly unsure how to find new drivers for the WAN Miniport, I've found some places that have them on the web but am unsure of their validity. Any help in that area would also be appreciated. :thumbsup: Thanks!

Edited by Shad, 07 April 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#3 Shad

Shad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

Update #2:

Looked online for other people with the same issue, apparently the minidriver problem is caused by a firewall. The drivers are now fixed, however the internet still will not connect. It says the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller and my wireless adapter are disconnected when I try to set up a new connection.

#4 Shad

Shad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

Tried a suggestion from a different tech forum... set my WINSOCK entries to defaults and reset TCP/IP stack to defaults... no change. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users