Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After reformatting XP, what's next...?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 E. Song

E. Song

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

After my spyware erased one of my essential system files it wouldn't log in any longer, so I decided to just reformat my computer. After reformatting I know I need to download some drivers? I have a Satellite P105-S6024, and I've jumped on the Toshiba drivers website. However, after going through it I was met with a LONGGGG list of drivers for the laptop. I'm not sure which ones to download and what drivers my laptop has... Can anyone help me with this situation, I'm clearly not that sophisticated in computers :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

You have installed Windows XP so download Windows XP drivers from the list. For basic functionality you need at least display, sound and network drivers.

You have not mentioned which Windows XP service pack you have installed.
Choose the right version from the Operating System drop-down list for example Windows XP SP2/SP3.
Then choose a category like display from the other drop-down list.
Pick the latest driver by seeing the date.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

If your network driver is not working, you're gonna need that first. :thumbsup: DL on another computer and install from cd or flash drive.

This should be the link to the main drivers page for systems with xp sp2 or sp3:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

#4 E. Song

E. Song
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

so should I just go through each category and download the lastest driver? is there any relevance to the name of the driver i am downloading?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

That page lists only drivers for your laptop, so all listed drivers are for your PC. Just check the date and downloaded the latest one. Even if you download a wrong one, all that would happen is it would refuse to install on your computer or won't work. So do not worry much.

You can use Belarc Advisor to find out little information about your laptop hardware model and make etc.

Edit : Corrected the link :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 08 April 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#6 E. Song

E. Song
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

ok ty. romeo your link leads me to a breast cancer advice website. fortunately, my computer doesn't have cancer haha, but did you mean pc advisor?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

I find that using "ABCD ModelT specs" or some such works quite well, using Google.

Among the links that are displayed are often the OEM manufacturer's drivers, specs, manual, etc.

Louis

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

ok ty. romeo your link leads me to a breast cancer advice website. fortunately, my computer doesn't have cancer haha, but did you mean pc advisor?

LOL Sorry I was looking for Belarc Advisor but mixed it with BC Advisor. I have corrected the link.
Hey hamluis, you are moderator you gotta correct my links :thumbsup:

LOL, my bad :flowers: ~ Hamluis

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#9 E. Song

E. Song
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

actually i have a new kind of thread question, i dont want to conserve forum posts.

after downloading windows xp professional i found i can access the files on the other part of my computer. The other part of the computer wasn't working, (not letting me log into my desktop. it kept kicking me off to the windows log in screen). this happened after i did a virus check and the antivirus deleted some windows files.

is there a way i can replace the windows files from my windows xp professional partitioned part of the computer and implant it into the corrupted windows part?

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

I think you mean different installations in a dual boot computer by "part". I think copying of files of different version may cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users