Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who created Combofix?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

Seriously I cannot find any information except that his paypal is registered in Malaysia.....Really got to give whoever it is props he deserves a nobel prize or something :thumbsup:

Edited by Budapest, 07 April 2010 - 12:14 AM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:47 AM

I would like to know too. As far as I know sUBs is a member of BleepingComputer. I also suspect that sUBs is same as Grinler :thumbsup:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,057 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

sUBs created CF around June 2006 and has dedicated his time to improve and make it more effective ever since.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jdbaker82

jdbaker82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

sUBs created CF around June 2006 and has dedicated his time to improve and make it more effective ever since.

I hope he is making some serious bucks somehow he really deserves it I can guarentee he saves millions of people lots of time and money.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

I also suspect that sUBs is same as Grinler :thumbsup:

I can assure you that they are not one in the same person. Just take a look at the sheer volume of malware removal tutorials, here and the quality and the effectiveness of ComboFix and that will tell you it's not one person. That volume of work would be impossible by a single human being.

But is says volumes about the people who do this for the betterment of the community to help keep us safe and remove the scourge of malware. sUBs and Grinler are just two names among thousands that do this for little to no recognition. Just the knowledge they are doing good for others.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

I am sorry Animal, I was just making a little joke as Grinler is the person who usually comes up with these smart little tools like RKill :thumbsup: No other intention :flowers:

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

No worries. I was just making sure members or visitors who read this thread and may not know BC as well as we do, weren't misled. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Digital Future

Digital Future

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

As a tech, ComboFix is something I can't live without having in my arsenal. But as a remote computer tech, it is a last resort tool because it always kicks me out of session(which needs client interaction to get me reconnected), but it always seems to get the job done.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

Seriously I cannot find any information except that his paypal is registered in Malaysia.....Really got to give whoever it is props he deserves a nobel prize or something :thumbsup:

Just to make sure everyone knows, the only real Paypal donation address for sUBs is: combofix@live.com. Others are impostors.

#10 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:13 AM

As a tech, ComboFix is something I can't live without having in my arsenal

Its a pity that there is no 64 bit version of CF now or planned so when 64 bit is the norm you may have to.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,057 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

Due to the architecture in 64-bit Windows and the fact that 64-bit drivers need to be digitally signed, rootkits are not seen as often in 64-bit machines so they are less prone to that type of infection. As such, it is very unlikely that there will be a 64-bit version of CF since that OS is more secure than a 32-bit system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 jonm01

jonm01

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

I'll be sending him a donation, he has saved my work PC yet again with his amazing little program. I tried pretty much every AV, Malware and online scanner program and none of them made one jot of difference. CF cured it in about 15 mins.

Can someone please explain why all the $$$$$$$$$$ making AV software companies can't do the same thing?

I can't imagine how many thousands of people are getting these latest rootkit type viruses everyday and finding their machines effectively ruined.

#13 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hello jonm.

Can someone please explain why all the $$$$$$$$$$ making AV software companies can't do the same thing?

CF uses more powerful removal methods than AVs. If AVs did this, and a false detection occured, it may leave thousands of computer's crippled because they are so widely used. This is why we insist that CF only be used under supervision, so that any mishaps can be fixed and reported quickly.

With Regards,
The Panda

#14 farrmp

farrmp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

Just want to say ComboFix has saved my bacon 3 times now! I have grandkids using this machine, and they just don't get 'Social Engineering' Attacks. Thanks sooooo much!!!!
BTW, have made a PayPal donation to sUBs

Paul

Edited by farrmp, 23 April 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

Hello jonm.

CF uses more powerful removal methods than AVs. If AVs did this, and a false detection occured, it may leave thousands of computer's crippled because they are so widely used. This is why we insist that CF only be used under supervision, so that any mishaps can be fixed and reported quickly.

With Regards,
The Panda

Perhaps we should add McAfee to our list of dangerous anti-malware tools? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users