Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tools that I should Have?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

I am starting my mobile / shop computer repair business, pretty soon.

I wanted to find out from some of you guys what would be some must have tools. So I can have it in my arsenal. I need to be economic do, I will get more as I go by.

I know I have to get:

-Computer Screen
-Power Supply
-Basic Tool set
-Software Programs to asist me with virus etc.
-Keyboard/Mouse
-GraphicCard and SoundCard
-Some Ethernet Cable

What am I missing that is a must to help me in the computer repair buisness :flowers:

Well Thanks to all. :thumbsup:

Edited by JUICYboy, 06 April 2010 - 10:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

As far as my home shop, I use my own personal monitor and one of my 2 computers to do diagnostics on customer computers. as far as a travel kit, I have a laptop, magnetically tipped screwdriver (not enough to mess up a hard drive, just enough to hold a computer screw) with multiple bits, pair of pliers, small tool kit with variouse other connectors, and of course, I never go anywhere with my Ubuntu Live CD and a small flashlight. a anti static wrist strap might be handy if your planning on doing a lot of field repairs as well. I don't personally, because I rarely take anything apart in the field, if I have to do that I take it back to my place but theres always the exception.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Just a quick look and I see 2 things missing, Power Supply Tester and a Null Cable. Not sure what your 'software' tools are going to be on, CD or flash drive? But an extra flash drive for back up of certain important items for the client, might be handy.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

As far as my home shop, I use my own personal monitor and one of my 2 computers to do diagnostics on customer computers. as far as a travel kit, I have a laptop, magnetically tipped screwdriver (not enough to mess up a hard drive, just enough to hold a computer screw) with multiple bits, pair of pliers, small tool kit with variouse other connectors, and of course, I never go anywhere with my Ubuntu Live CD and a small flashlight. a anti static wrist strap might be handy if your planning on doing a lot of field repairs as well. I don't personally, because I rarely take anything apart in the field, if I have to do that I take it back to my place but theres always the exception.

What Is a Ubuntu Live CD :thumbsup: and why would you never go anywhere with out it?

Thank-you for response

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm......................

Ubuntu Live and what it does...........

#6 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Holy :thumbsup: Thanks man :flowers:

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

i always keep atleast a couple of old sun flower seed glasses around to hold screews that way i wont loose them also i usually keep a lot of spare parts around...
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

Isn't it SAS who also just recently added a jump drive bootable scanner that you can download for free?

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yes: http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Ubuntu is a user friendly variant of linux, and you can download it and install it to a CD or USB flash drive, and boot up a virus infected computer off of the USB or the CD drive, so that you can back files off the hard drive without having to enter windows. Had one virus awhile back, all it did was delete the drivers for the keyboard and mouse-even in safe mode. and of course, it was passworded so you couldn't log in, used it to get the files off the hard drive and then was able to reinstall windows onto it and restore all of the customers files. just one example of it coming in handy.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

Compressed air is a must!
I clean every system that comes in as a courtesy and show the customer how to do it as well
Monitor wipes for filty laptop displays that you can barely see.

Have a few CR2032 batteries on hand
Pack a magnifying glass and a good flashlight

Dont forget to always pack a small fist aid kit in case you cut yourself!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

Gooosh You guys are the best.

Wow I hope one day I can become as good as most of you guys. :thumbsup:

I am going to get that Ubuntu CD and play around with it on my Xp computer. Thanks :flowers:

And Compressed air is a must thanks for sure.

I also am going to sell my car and get myself a VW 1973 and put my big giant logo on it. I have a vision that I will establish a company like the geek squad but
instead of the new VW beetles I want the OLD VW beetles.

I sometimes feel like I should not doit do. Like just stay on the safe side get a job, but other times as feel as thrill about it as I do now.

Thanks to all. :trumpet:

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Dont forget that first aid kit!

Its not easy to start your own business
Prior planning prevents poor performance!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

ethernet cable, with crimpers and rj-45 connectors
a box cutter or some type of pocket knife, i always find myself having to cut something, whether it be a zip tie or whatever
a wireless adapter may be a good idea? if the client has wifi, i could imagine using that in the case that they are having wireless problems if that is the only computer accesible
and i always keep a notepad and a pen with me, that way i dont forget anything

#15 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

It may be safer to get a job, but it's more fun to CREATE a job lol. I've been self employed for over 20 years................

Although, having said that, it's never a bad idea to work for someone else in the field you choose for a while to gain some experience and to have others to lean on as you learn more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users