Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem with my ISP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 mahavir_tehri

mahavir_tehri

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

I am using broadband internet connection in which my isp has provided me with ip addresses, one for my computer,one is default gateway and one for the dns which is same as that of default gateway.

This is not a dedicated service, means they provide us a scratch card and after scratching it we have to put pin number into our account, which they created for us when we register with them.After that our account activates.To connect to internet they provide us with unique username and a common password for all users.

Now one day when my connection deactivated(after using it for one month,the validity is for one month).I put someone else username in the form they provide, which automatically comes before connecting to internet.

I was totally surprised to see that i am able to connect to internet.Because that's person account is still activated.And now i didn't purchase the scratch card and start using internet by using his username.

Now my question is that: Will my ISP know about what i am doing. if yes than what is other method by which i can hide myself from my ISP

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:33 AM

It sound like you have a static IP address which is turned on with the access number. If you don't change the IP address each time you get a new access number then your ISP will be logging your IP everytime you log on where you are logged on with you PIN or the PIN you have assumed. Even if you are DHCP your ISP will know who you are by the modem's MAC. I am going to be polite and say NO ONE on BC is going to help you illegally access someones account then mask you activity. You should buy another scratch card or sign up for one of the free dialups.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:53 AM

What you are doing is fraudulent and you are stealing services. You and your friend can both be charged with theft. In my country people are prosecuted for doing what you are doing. I know one group of kids who were caught doing that. They were fined and banned from using the internet for one year and had to perform community service for a time as well as pay for the services they stole. Its quite easy for the ISP to know that two seperate computers are using the same account.

As acklan says, at Bleepin Computer we don't condone this type of activity and won't help you do it. Thanks acklan.