Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC does not see 500Gb IDE HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amgadbenjmain

amgadbenjmain

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hi
I'm trying to install a 500gb IDE drive in an old HP (800 MH, 250mb Ram). When I try to install XP from the CD it would would return an error massage that there is no hard drive installed.

I Checked the power supply and the cable all seems to be working. I formated the HD and the system only see 130 GB , but when I try to install XP, it prompts me to formate the drive and after the formate is done, XP starts the install, and I get the massage saying there is no HD installed!!!!!

Any help wlil be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Amgad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

Is this an HP CD that you refer to?

Is it a Microsoft Genuine XP CD?

In any case...you can check the BIOS settings to see if the system properly detects the hard drive. It really doesn't matter if the BIOS sees the drive as 137GB or not...once XP is installed and updated thru at least SP1, you will be able to get full usage of the entire drive.

FWIW: I do not suggest formatting a hard drive that you intend to install XP on, using a Genuine XP CD...before using the CD. My experience is that the CD may not properly detect such, since it's looking for a bare drive...particularly so, if the XP version is MS OEM/System Builder.

I should also add that the existence of any other partitions on a drive for which a person is trying to install an OEM/System Builder version of Genuine XP...will probably fail, IME. Again, it's made to be installed on a clean drive, devoid of any partitions.

Louis

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

If you partition the first (boot) partition to 127g you may avoid problems in the future. The software workarounds built into sp1 and beyond can be damaged by viri, bad sectors and interaction with future updates or other software.

HP's that old usually don't have bios updates that get around the 137gb hard limit for LBA.

btw: I quit buying ide drives and just buy sata drives and use a sata to ide hardware adapter so the drive can be used in the next upgraded computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users