Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot (even in safe mode) after Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 camcrazie10

camcrazie10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista that is out of warranty. I recently updated my video card driver (Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS) and then had some trouble booting up, and was only able to boot into safe mode. After trying various things (built in system repair, rolling back drivers, system restore, etc.) I was able to boot sporadically. Then, when using a few programs at once, Windows would freeze altogether, and the process would start over.

I decided to back up my files in safe mode, and used Dell's factory image restore feature to reinstall. On restart, Windows would not boot. I have tried to boot in safe mode with no avail (a command prompt window opens after almost booting in safe mode, runs through a bunch of commands quite fast, and then restarts). I can't read it all as it flashes quick, but it involves a bunch of "Cabinet Maker - Lossless Data Compression Tool 100.00% [flushing current folder]...". I've read that this is some sort of Dell audit - is this an error in the built-in factory restore?

Attempting to use system repair again gives me multiple "root causes found" - failure while setup is in progress as well as boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully. The last part seems confusing, as it definitely doesn't boot.

I only have a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached so I don't think any hardware is conflicting.

Does anyone have any insight as to what it might be - could it be video card related, motherboard, etc.?

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Edited by camcrazie10, 06 April 2010 - 08:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihatethiscrap

ihatethiscrap

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Its really annoying and rude when someone makes a post like the one above and NO ONE finds it important to answer. While his or her post might not be important to anyone else, it is important to those of us that are searching google and come upon this post only to realize that no one answered it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users