Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Service Pack 3 - can't install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AimeeMorr

AimeeMorr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

i've tried several times to install service pack 3 but each attempt results in having to end the session and recover all the old files. is it possible this is because of a virus? unfortunately, i can't remember the error message; all i remember is that it takes quite a few minutes to get to that point

Edited by AimeeMorr, 06 April 2010 - 06:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:08 AM

I'm not any kind of expert, but I don't think it would be a virus. Have you run chkdsk/r on your computer? It may be just a corrupted file or something like that. Also you could run sfc /scannow, that fixes original files in your windows operating system. It takes a while to run that and you have to sit at your computer clicking on error boxes that pop up. Unless you have a computer with the restore stuff on the hard drive. Like my old laptop, I never had the error box come up on it since the OS was on the D drive.

I hope that all makes some kind of sense... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Are you trying to use Windows Update to install SP3?

The error message is important. Can you duplicate your effort...and copy any error messages and post such?

Louis

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

One of the most popular reasons for sp3 to fail is indeed virus or malware. The above suggestions are all good but making sure the system is clean is a priority also.

Use malwarebytes and superantispyware as a preliminary check even if you have a commercial AV running. Malware often slips by them since that are usually a result of something the user initiated.

#5 dfiore

dfiore

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

Aimee:

Create a folder on your C drive and call it sp3.
Go here and save to that folder
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

You can install SP3 from that folder directly.
If that fails, restart in safe mode and run from the folder again.

#6 StartingOver

StartingOver

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

I am having the same problem :flowers: . I don't have a screenshot of the error but, I can tell you that I get a small error box in the center of the screen that says "access denied". :thumbsup: I had to take the computer down & move it (wife got "let's move all of the furniture again" disease last night! My kids were thrilled!). I am about to set it up now and run the sp3 update again after I run MBAM, Spybot S&D and SuperAntiSpyware. The system is running AVast Antivirus (free edition) real time and I'm using Comodo's free firewall protection. I turned off all real time anti virus protection in Comodo's free firewall suite to avoid conflicts with AVast. So, the only thing running in that package is the bi-directional firewall.

My system is:
Dell Dimension 2400
Windows XP - Last clean install was within the last three months. Used Windows install discs. I got rid of the Recovery partition and Dell's Utility partition. They're nothing but clutter.
1GB Ram
80GB hard drive

I am using Microsoft Update, not Windows Update on my attempts.

Thanks
StartingOver

PS - If my machine is clean and I still can't install, I'll post the error message here, then follow dfiore's suggestion.

Edited by StartingOver, 07 April 2010 - 04:15 PM.

Just Remember "To Err Is Human" (To REALLY Foul Things Up Requires A Computer!)

#7 StartingOver

StartingOver

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Success!!!!! Just finished installing SP3!!!

After numerous attempts which ended in the error message "Access Denied", I finally was able to, I think, figure out the problem, correct it and download and install SP3. My syetem is listed in an earlier post in this thread but to save time it is a:
Dell Dimension 2400
Windows XP Home Edition (formerly SP2 - Now SP3)
Intel Celeron 2.40GHz processor
1 GB RAM
80GB hard drive

On the whole, nuthin' fancy.

A word of caution! If you are not comfortable backing up your registry or setting a restore point - I would strongly recommend getting someone here with more experience than me to review these instructions before you proceed. The only problem I had was causing myself to have to re-load Firefox. At least that is all I'm aware of, so far?!

Before I go any further, let me also tell you that I run a third-party firewall (Comodo's Free Firewall) and Avast Anti-Virus Free Edition which runs my real-time virus protection. In order to proceed with the instructions below, you will be instructed to turn off your anti-virus. And, you will be warned that doing so puts your system a greater risk of infection. So, if you follow these instructions, do not use your computer on the internet for anything other than to complete these steps. As soon as you are done, reboot and re-start your anti-virus protection.

What I found for my situation is that my anti-virus may have written certain instruction to the registry which prohibited the administrator's account from making changes to certain registry keys. At least that is my understanding. From what I read, this is a protective measure.

Here are the links to the Microsoft Knowledge Base instructions that I used. They are in order of execution.

How to Back Up and Restore the Registry in Windows XP

READ THIS NEXT DOCUMENT FULLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING IT RECOMMENDS!!

When you try to install Windows XP Service Pack, you receive the error message "Access is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"

On this page, under the section titled "
Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions" (about half way down the page), you will be instructed to download a small utility. In my experience, you must do that before taking the next step.

This worked for me when nothing else did. Sorry, dfiore, not even your instructions from Microsoft's support documents worked on my system. Thanks for the post, though. It would have been easier than what I did!

Hope this helps and Good Luck! :thumbsup:
StartingOVer

Just Remember "To Err Is Human" (To REALLY Foul Things Up Requires A Computer!)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

In case no one noticed...the OP has never made a second post/reply/etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users