Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 noTechie

noTechie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

In the "System Recovery Options" dialogue box there are no operating systems listed to select. Near the bottom of the window the instructions read: "If you do not see your operating system listed, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hard disks" When I do this another window opens titled "Add Drivers" "Insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver." So I select OK and another window opens to allow me to browse to the location where the drivers are located. The default path in the look in box is:

CD Drive (ECD_ROM\Boot (X\sources. With in this folder there are 7 folders and 6 files. At the bottom of the window in the file type box I see Setup Information listed as the only choice. I am not sure how to proceed. Do you have any idea what file I should select? Thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

what is the computer a laptop or a desktop and who makes it Ie is it a HP, Dell...?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 noTechie

noTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

laptop dell inspirion 1525

Edited by noTechie, 06 April 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

i think that means you need to install sata drivers these here are the drivers for you notebook please follow dells instructions to use them.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 noTechie

noTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

i cant install
i tried to install in safe mode abd it went to blue screen with msg stop: 0x000000F4
when i restart it says Bootmgr is missing

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

well i am very sorry but i have no clue where to go from here. i guess you will have to wait for another member to suggest something..
sigcomp.png 

#7 noTechie

noTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

thank you

i also tried to do system restore but i have no OS to choose from
im so lost
i need my laptop...lol

#8 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:31 AM

Try running a chkdsk with the /r command on the partition your OS is on.

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

How do you do that if windows won't boot up?

#10 noTechie

noTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

ok thank Ill try that
so just type
/r
OR
chkdsk /r

im not good at all with computers and this must be a silly question...but yeah i really dont have a clue..lol

#11 noTechie

noTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

How do you do that if windows won't boot up?

so true..

#12 noTechie

noTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

I have vista...but when my laptop failed I tried installing XP because I didnt have software for vista...does this also make the problem worse???

Dell inspirion 1525...didnt come with the vista software so thats why I tried installing XP!

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

So how did that installation of XP go? Did it take?

I wasn't being a smart ass when I asked my question to Aus Smithy. I had a similar problem. Fortunately for me, I not only had another hard drive, I had the Vista Ultimate disc I bought when I installed it on this computer I built. However, I DO still have the HDD that quit and I want to know how you run check disc when windows won't boot. When the operating system is not found..........

#14 noTechie

noTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

No i couldnt install XP

But i have done some reading and so far ive tried alot of things...

1.I have no partions
2.No OS
3.Says I have no bootmgr
4.I have tried all sorts of rescue disks and NADA!

SOME1 PLEASE HELP
Thanks to all who have suggested things I appreciate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users