Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paint.NET

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

I am sort of into game modding and i have been trying to create a picture which includes fully transparent pixels (alpha to 0). I paint my pixels, have both tried my own colour settings as well as picking colour from an existing file. According to a guide for photoshop it should be saved as a 24-bit uncompressed .tga, but when i save it all the transparents become fully white instead and it behaves the same in-game.

The guide mentioned above instructs me to:
"go to your Selections menu at the top and choose “select all” (or Ctrl a) then go to the Selections menu again and select Selections>Modify>Transparent color. (or Ctrl t), Leave the setting on black and 0 tolerance. Go to your Selections menu, and choose Save to Alpha Channel"

Is what i am doing the same as described here?
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hello Surma.

I just tried the same, and 24-bit .tga loses transparency in PDN. 32-bit works fine though.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:39 AM

Problem is, i dont think the game accepts 32-bit .tga's. Isnt there a way to "save to alpha channel" like in photoshop? in the meanwhile, i'll try. I might point out that there are already stock files with transparents and i think they are 24-bit. the folder is called rgb, not rgba and every mod guide out there says that they have to be 24-bit.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#4 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Just tried a 32-bit and the game did accept it. Whoever said that you cant use 32-bit .tga's in Star Trek: Armada was obviously wrong...
---My computer---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users