Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's on but nobody's home!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hayride2

hayride2

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

A friend brought me an HP laptop that was given to her. She said it had a lot of undesirable stuff on it and she wanted me to clean it up. She tried but she deleted something she shouldn't have and lost the "search" bar. I don't know from where but that is what she said.

My problem is after hitting the power button it acted like is was going to boot but then it showed a progress bar labeled hibernation and then the screen went black. There is a flashing curser in the top left corner of the monitor but that is it.

Did I mention that now that I have it powered on I can't do anything with it? By that I mean ANYTHING! I can't even turn it off. I can hold the power button down for 10 minutes and it won't go off. I unplugged it and held the power button down and it won't go off. I have punched every button on the silly thing and can't get it to respond.

The power LED and the battery LED (when I have it plugged in) light up but the harddrive LED hasn't even blinked! I am at my wits end with this thing. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

when it is "powered on" does the hard drive make any noise. also nothing comes on screen right? another thing what model of hp is it?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

which hp laptop is it?
Model and serial.
Power switch is on a replaceable small board on most modern hp's/compaqs since they go bad.

Laptops can get stuck in hibernate if the battery gets too low.
Pull the battery, leave ac power off, hold down power button for 30 sec or until all lights go off. Insert battery, plug in power, boot by pressing power on for no more than 4 seconds.

#4 miniman1

miniman1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

What does the flashing curser mean ?
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

Press F8 when you first turn on the computer and keep hitting it until you get an option to "Discard hibernation file". Select this with your arrow keys and press Enter.

Your computer will boot up without trying to restore the last hibernated session data.

Edited by Gabrial, 17 October 2010 - 04:31 PM.

#6 miniman1

miniman1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

Press F8 when you first turn on the computer and keep hitting it until you get an option to "Discard hibernation file". Select this with your arrow keys and press Enter.

Your computer will boot up without trying to restore the last hibernated session data.

Thanks, but all i get from F8 key is ''Please select boot device''

1st FLOPPY DRIVE
CDROM : PM-ATAPI DVD A DH18A1P
USB : Generic USB SD Reader
ETC. ETC.

EDIT : Sorry i thought this was an answer to one of my previous posts regarding flashing curser top left

Edited by miniman1, 17 October 2010 - 04:48 PM.

A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

To OP:

Flashing cursor on black screen with cursor flashin in upper left corner...uisually indicates an MBR problem.

Have you checked the HP support site for that model...to see if they have a standard solution for this? They usually do for this sort of thing, IIRC.

What model HP system?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users