Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dodgy site caused me change the registry + Vista defender 2010

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 froggynoddy

froggynoddy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

After having been infected with vista security tool 2010 I panicked and went on the first website giving me advice, www.spywareremove.com (which I now believe is a dodgy site) as to how to get rid of it. I very stupidly followed its advice which was to save a file in the registry as:

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"
@="exefile"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile\shell\open\command]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command]

Now I still have Vista security tool malware and I believe I have further added malware by changing the registry in this way. I am currently away from my computer so I cant give any extra details (apart from the fact that I am on vista) but can update from thursday.

ANy help in solving how I can get rid of Vista security tool and undo the harm I caused by changing the registry would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

froggyoddy

NOTE: i misstook windows defender for vista security tool at first, hence the subsequent edit and the misstake in the topic title. Disregard any mention of windows defender and instead replace with vista securoty tool 2010

Edited by froggynoddy, 06 April 2010 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users