Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with internet connection/firefox

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 miss-g

miss-g

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hiya
For months now ive had a problem with connecting to some websites and my internet connection.

When i log into websites (such as myspace, ebay, hotmail) or when i use google to search for something, i usually get a 'server not found' page and i have to refresh 3/4 times before the page loads or logs me in. If i use google images, none of the images actually load and i have to refresh the page to see them.

On my old laptop, i had a virus (zlob dns?) which affected the router settings or something and redirected certain websites, and although a professional removed the virus from the laptop, it was still there and kept coming back and redirecting websites, so to fix this i altered a setting in the router (it was either 'use static IP address' to 'get dynamically' changed, DNS from "these servers" to "get automatically" changed or both, im not sure as it was quite a few months ago). This seemed to stop the virus or whatever it was redirecting webpages.

Everything was fine until shortly after when i updated firefox to 3.6.3. and when my brother began using xbox live.
Thats when the logging in problems started. At first i thought it was just my old laptop, but i recently bought a new one and installed firefox and the same problems keep coming up, so i figured it cant be the laptops fault, it must either be firefox or my wireless. On my new laptop, the internet was fine until after a day or two, the 'server not found' problems began showing like on my old laptop.

I tried downgrading firefox, but the problems still keep appearing.

As well as this, whenever i download something (such as a torrent file) my internet disconnects and i have to turn on/off the router to fix it. This also sometimes happened when loading webpages with lots of images or with embedded music. This can happen multiple times, which is really irritating. I cant download anything without it cutting out at least once.

Im lost as to what to do, i dont really want to change from firefox as i have used it for years and i prefer it to any other. I thought it might be because theres usually 3 laptops and the xbox all using the wireless, as well as an ipod touch so the load may be too much, but it happens when just my laptop is connected.

At first i put up with it, but its really really annoying now, especially when im not in the room and im up and down fixing the router.

I havnt tried changing the router settings back to what they were, as i dont know if the IP addresses in the settings are connected to the virus or not and i dont want to risk it.

Any help would be appreciated, if anymore information is required ill provide as much as i can.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users