Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email from myself?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hanna

Hanna

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

I have had this happen a few times. I use IE and occasionally I will get an email that says it is from me and I didn't send it. What is this? Someone trying to send me a virus? There was a zipped attachment (I did not open it) that was titled -"New price". I deleted it but am curious about what it is and how they use my email address to send me an email....or did they really use my email address...it just had my name as the sender not my actual email address. How can I tell what address it came from?

Thanks!
Hanna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

Hi Hanna

AVG identifies that virus as I-worm/Bagle.gen. It uses your name and a randomly generated @something.com or whatever as the sender. If you want to see the from address right click the email and click properties. Look for "Source". Your name and email address was picked up from a computer somewhere that has the virus executed on it. Had you executed it, it would have been sent to all the email addresses in your address book.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

Thanks! I have AVG, so why didn't AVG catch it and send it to the trash can? I deleted it. I never open any email attachment from anyone I don't know and I knew I didn't send myself any email! LOL.

Hanna

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:44 PM

AVG doesn't scan zipped files until you open the .zip and then only if you try to move, open or otherwise access the virus. I have a virus collection, and in the case of a zipped file when I try to extract the virus from the zipped file AVG goes ballistic.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

Well, that just goes to show you how much I know about viruses etc.! Thanks for that info! I am glad to know that I have to open the file and AVG will do its thing with it. I am scared to death of viruses. I got one when trying to update Microsoft on their website! Took me forever to get rid of it. That was on another computer. I have all kinds of protection. I tried Symantec...it caused all kinds of problems. So I went to the free AVG for awhile and liked it so well I bought it. Thanks again for your help and info!

Hanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users