Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Recovery Consul / System Restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Bamford

Sam Bamford

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hi all at Bleep

Have recently had some malware removed by one of the experts at the malware removal forum and during the combofix installation, combofix installed windows recovery consul on my computer. Now this isn't causing me any problems and my PC is running just fine but I have noticed that my system restore appears to be switched off.

If I click on system restore a pop up tells me that system restore is switched off - do I want to switch it on Yes / No. Since my malware topic now closed and unsure as to whether or not system restore will conflict with windows recovery, I thought I would ask for advice before I go messing about.

Many thanks

Sam Bamford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

YOu should be able to turn it back on provided there is no trace of the malware that originally infected your computer. Turning off System restore removes all the old restore points so it is a good idea to turn it back on again and create a new restore point giving it a name that lets you know that it was created after the malware removal. It will have a date attached to it but I find it easier and faster if I give it a name that I can instantly see what point in time I am restoring.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 Sam Bamford

Sam Bamford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hi Baloo

Many thanks for your reply. The malware problem is totally clear, so I'll go ahead and do as you have suggested.

Kind regards

Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users