Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus damage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eddy_123uk

eddy_123uk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

Hello,

I have had some virus issues. Think they may have been resolved using anti-malware software but it has come at a price to my Thinkpad.

My computer hangs when it's starting sometimes, there are a few error messages, the cursor has an egg timer next to it permanently, the volume buttons no longer work, and although I can connect to a wireless network, my browser is no longer redirecting to the wifi login page so I can't access the internet. (I'm using a netbook at the moment to write this.)

All in all a sorry state. I've backed everything up and I'm ready to wipe my whole hard drive and start again, but I don't have any windows disks or anything, which I understand I need?

My hardware is fine so I'm looking for a quick and easy way to wipe my computer and start afresh. Help much appreciated!

Edited by Budapest, 06 April 2010 - 05:35 AM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 banderanti

banderanti

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:01 AM

Hello,

I have had some virus issues. Think they may have been resolved using anti-malware software but it has come at a price to my Thinkpad.

My computer hangs when it's starting sometimes, there are a few error messages, the cursor has an egg timer next to it permanently, the volume buttons no longer work, and although I can connect to a wireless network, my browser is no longer redirecting to the wifi login page so I can't access the internet. (I'm using a netbook at the moment to write this.)

All in all a sorry state. I've backed everything up and I'm ready to wipe my whole hard drive and start again, but I don't have any windows disks or anything, which I understand I need?

My hardware is fine so I'm looking for a quick and easy way to wipe my computer and start afresh. Help much appreciated!

Hi Eddy,

I suggest that you purchase an O/S disk, do a complete reformat of you HD, reinstall the O/S and it should resolve your software problems. (seems a bit obvious actually)

#3 eddy_123uk

eddy_123uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hello,

Hi Eddy,

I suggest that you purchase an O/S disk, do a complete reformat of you HD, reinstall the O/S and it should resolve your software problems. (seems a bit obvious actually)

any alternatives to buying a new windows cd? can i not restore the system to 'factory settings' and a clean hard drive without a cd? i'm sure i've been able to do this in the past.

Edited by eddy_123uk, 06 April 2010 - 06:37 AM.

#4 eddy_123uk

eddy_123uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

Alternatively, can anyone advise how I might repair the problems I'm facing? I'd imagine audio drivers (or maybe keyboard?) will fix volume button issue. But what about my browser not redirecting to the wifi login page? It seems an odd one as I'm still able to connect to the wireless network itself. It's definitely an issue with my computer because it's fine with my netbook.

Thankyou for your help.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users