Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can continue

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zachk

Zachk

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:18 AM

Okay.. let's see.. It's been about one week of countless hours on hours of work trying to get my computer to work. Not sure if I can do this but pretty much everything I tried is in this link.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...cId=24038738096

"Heh... Well the thing is, it started out as a big problem and got even bigger and bigger then got a bit smaller and now its just ... egh.

If I remember after spending all day trying to get my frigging computer to work, I tried using the windows repair on my CD. Waited for it to finish and some error came up somewhere in there with

"Com+ Setup Error" and "Setup failed while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /s"

There was A LOT more of stuff there but yeah..

Continued with the installation and tried to boot up, it said that "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can continue" clicked yes and it froze to desktop. Rebooted and went to System Restore command prompt thinger on the disk. Typed in

Bootcfg /list
Bootcfg /rebuild
Then y
Then Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Version
then /fastdetect
/exit

Rebooted and still didn't work on either one. I really hope I can save this computer without formatting.. x_x"

And that is where I'm stuck at right now. Would love some help.

EDIT: Oh and a process keeps crashing called "Auto Update" have no idea what it is but it's crashing.

Edited by Zachk, 06 April 2010 - 02:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

FWIW: I've seen that message before...on a new Compaq system where things went wrong. I spent hours trying to overcome it and finally just deleted all the Compaq junk and the XP install...did a clean install with one of my XP CDs and used the key for the Compaq. No problems since then.

I was unable to logon or get the Compaq recovery/restore mechanism to function properly.

System manufacturer and model?

Can you actually boot into XP right now? It's hard to tell from your post.

Louis

#3 Zachk

Zachk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

FWIW: I've seen that message before...on a new Compaq system where things went wrong. I spent hours trying to overcome it and finally just deleted all the Compaq junk and the XP install...did a clean install with one of my XP CDs and used the key for the Compaq. No problems since then.

I was unable to logon or get the Compaq recovery/restore mechanism to function properly.

System manufacturer and model?

Can you actually boot into XP right now? It's hard to tell from your post.

Louis

It's a custom computer. And if you look at the link I posted it has everything I've tried to do along with my system specs.

I was only able to get to the screen where it says "Welcome" and then it says it needs to be activated and I click yes and it freezes on wallpaper.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Or, you could just click on the link and copy the info from it to a post here. Not everyone is going to be willing to click on a link.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Try this this: http://www.memtest.org

#6 Zachk

Zachk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

Or, you could just click on the link and copy the info from it to a post here. Not everyone is going to be willing to click on a link.

Theres 3 pages of info about what I've done so far.

Try this this: http://www.memtest.org

I can't go anywhere on my computer, im stuck at the welcome screen. Im posting on a different computer at this moment. My computer is in the other room

Edited by Zachk, 06 April 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

I can't go anywhere on my computer, im stuck at the welcome screen. Im posting on a different computer at this moment. My computer is in the other room

Download it on this computer, then run it on the other one.

#8 Zachk

Zachk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

Im assuming I download this and put it on a CD and boot via disk, right?

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

Here is how to run memtest

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

FWIW: See section A Roadblock, Not a Speed Bump.

Louis

#11 Zachk

Zachk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

FWIW: See section A Roadblock, Not a Speed Bump.

Louis

Okay I'm back, took a break since I've been at this for a long while and I'm attempting with each RAM stick now and so far 1/4 dont work so it may be my ram or what you said ham... Im gunna try with the rest. Should I try that test thing with each RAM stick I have 1 at a time since i have 4?

What do I do now? Call them or something?

Edited by Zachk, 06 April 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

Well...I just did a clean install and everything was great afterward, once I deleted the existing partition and created a new one.

My premise was that something had damaged the partition, which caused XP to act as it should not.

If you cannot access the system in its current state, I don't see how phone activation would work.

If you take a look (using Google) at other users with this scenario...you can see what their attempts were.

Louis

#13 Zachk

Zachk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

Well...I just did a clean install and everything was great afterward, once I deleted the existing partition and created a new one.

My premise was that something had damaged the partition, which caused XP to act as it should not.

If you cannot access the system in its current state, I don't see how phone activation would work.

If you take a look (using Google) at other users with this scenario...you can see what their attempts were.

Louis

Kay.. So how would I go about deleting my Partition<s> and reinstalling without losing data? When I did Bootcfg /list
Bootcfg /rebuild
Then y
Then Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Version
then /fastdetect
/exit

I think it made another one so I wanted to delete that one too.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

Well...it would seem that you need the capability of moving those files...to another system, another drive, removeable media, etc.

As for bootcfg issues...a clean install will wipe that out.

Mind you...I'm not saying that you need to do a clean install, it's your system. That's just what my approach would be/was.

Louis

#15 Zachk

Zachk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

Well...it would seem that you need the capability of moving those files...to another system, another drive, removeable media, etc.

As for bootcfg issues...a clean install will wipe that out.

Mind you...I'm not saying that you need to do a clean install, it's your system. That's just what my approach would be/was.

Louis

Yeah, I have no removable media or harddrive to use to put my stuff on so I can't do that. What are my options right now to do? Kus I sorta don't want to lose my stuff on my HD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users