Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer not responding

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dounome

dounome

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

:thumbsup: okay, you want me to be as explicite as possible, ill try.... yesterday i was trying to download norton anti virus to a pavillion 8380, and repeatedly it kept coming back after the prescan that there were a couple virus's. one was the w32.Yaha.K@mm, and the other was Backdoor.Jeem. now i was able to go into the system then and was able to remove what I read to be both those programs and get rid of them, i deleted them, then, when i did the final attempt to get the norton anti-virus on to the computer, the prescan showed a great big screen that said the virus's had been removed and proceeded with the installing of the norton. then it said to reboot, so i rebooted this is where the problem then has become a greaaaaaaat problem.the windows logo picture comes on, the desk top picture comes on,then the start tool bar, then the picture disapears and the icons come on,then a little box comes up that says Program not found and in the box it explains windows cannot find autorun-This program is needed for operating files of type 'application'. Location of autorun: then there is a blank space with C:\ already typed into it. with three bottons on the bottom being OK, Cancel, Locate. Now i have used the locate and gone to windows,no success, program files, no success,and about everyother one i can think of til it became a hit and miss needle in a hay stack that i cant seebecause i cant pull up the my computer index to look, but still no success, i have tried to go to my computer, I get explorer (not responding), I have tried to go to find, run, and open the start toolbar, but it just freezes up and says Explorer not responding.
I tried to do a recovery with the floppies but i cant get to ms-dos to type in a:\setup to press enter. it keeps coming up with replace and press and key to continue so i remove the first disk and replace it and press enter and it tells me to do it again and again and again and...I went into the f1 and reset the defaults using f5 and saved and exited using f10.My friend who owns the computer is less literate then me in the computer world, and i thought that maybe i could understand what you are telling me to do a little better then her, so she gave me her computer and i now have it here in my home, and i have it set up and it is connected to the internet, and it is running, but now it sits with the desktop having no picture, there are icons on the desktop all unable to respond, and the start tool bar able to right click to offer but not to respond, as it freezes and the little box at cntrl alt delete, task manager says explorer ( not responding) The little box asking for the location of auto run is now showing as well, I dont want to touch any more buttons till someone can suggest something I havent tried, pleae help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:29 PM

Have you tried to boot to safe mode? Press F5 as the computer boots and see if it will boot and function there. Is there any chance your friend create a restore point in the system restore? If sowhen you get into safe mode do a system restore.
I saw in your post you were using the F1 F5 and F10. I am guessing you were in the BIOS making changes. Is that correct?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dounome

dounome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

:thumbsup: um fortunately, the only thing i have ever been told to do and have learn about the "f" numbers is that in order to bring everything back to default, i am to F1 F5 and F10. as to making it go into safe mode so that you can get it to go to the desk top and be semi functional, i need instruction. I have only gone to f1 as she is booting and gotten into the bios, there i have f5 it and that reset the defaults, then i save and reboot, when i rebooted it was no different then before, .. if i could know what program to type the autorun to exist in, i think id be able to get a lot further.
A little box comes up that says Program not found and in the box it explains "windows cannot find autorun"-"This program is needed for operating files of type 'application'". "Location of autorun:" then there is a blank space with "C: " already typed into it. with three buttons on the bottom being OK, Cancel, Locate.
If I knew what to type into this blank box, i might have a lot of the problem solved.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

What OS is it -98 or ME, or something else?

You really don't need to restore the defaults in your BIOS. It may work for a problem you had in the past, but it is not going to work for this one. :thumbsup:

What happens when you click the cancel key? To me, it sounds like it is trying to finish off an installation of a program, and it is looking for the CD - hence the reason you are getting the Autorun message.

As acklan suggests, try to get into safe mode.

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
If you are having problems, additional instructions on how to do this can be found here: How to start Windows in Safe mode.

Let us know what happens once you are into safe mode.

Post again.

:flowers:

Edited by Joshuacat, 19 September 2005 - 09:49 PM.

JC

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:12 PM

Hi dounome,

Have a look at this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;153981

I know that doesn't really tell you how to fix the problem and i'm sorry if these multiple responses are confusing. But let's try a few things.

First I have a question. Are you installing Norton from a CD, or did you download it from the internet?

This problem is usually associated with CD drives. But it sounds like your hard drive may not know where the autorun file is and thus is not loading explorer, basically it can't load Windows.

First thing to try: Remove all CD's and floppies from their drives, reboot and see if that helps.

If you still get the same situation, type in Autorun.exe when the C:\ prompt comes up and press Enter.

If that doesn't work, type in Autorun.inf.

It's not clear to me if you are able to use your My Computer screen at all. If you can, and this is a CD autoruns problem, you can bypass autoruns. Here is an article for how to do that for another Norton product. I would suggest trying those steps since the installation process should be relatively the same.
http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer/result...esultType=5000#

Run Setup manually

1. Open the CD-ROM drive.
  2. Press and hold Shift wile closing the CD-ROM drive. This bypasses the auto-run.
  3. Once the CD-ROM light stops flashing, release the Shift key.
  4. Start Windows Explorer.
  5. Double-click Setup.exe from the \WinFax\DISK1 or \Talkwork\DISK1 folder on the CD.

NOTE: If using WinFax PRO 10, Setup.exe appears in the WinFax directory.

Copy the installation files to the hard drive

1. Open the CD-ROM drive.
  2. Press and hold Shift while closing the CD-ROM drive. This bypasses the auto-run.
  3. Once the CD-ROM light stops flashing, release the Shift key.
  4. Start Windows Explorer.
  5. Copy the installation files from the \WinFax or \Talkwork folder on the CD to a temporary folder on your hard drive.
  6. Run Setup.exe from the newly copied \WinFax or \DISK1 folder on your hard drive.

NOTE: Once the installation is complete, you may delete the temporary folder that was copied from the CD.

If none of this works or you have trouble with it, please post back what operating system you are using, and exactly what Norton product you are trying to install--for example is it Norton AntiVirus 2005, Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition or just what exactly. Frankly I never heard of them doing a presacan and clean before. Also let us know if this is a downloaded trial version, an already been paid for CD, etc.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#6 dounome

dounome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

papa kid i did as you told me to do
"First thing to try: Remove all CD's and floppies from their drives, reboot and see if that helps." but that did nothing different there was no change i still got the box.
So i did the next thing
"type in Autorun.exe when the C: prompt comes up and press Enter."
it said "cannot find"
So i did the next thing
type in Autorun.inf.
it said "cannot find"
no i cannot use the screen at all, i can see it and the picture for the desk top is gone, its only a White screen with the icons
i can press the button to the start key but it will not do anything,the ctl alt del says that the explorer is (not responding)
As for the Norton anti virus 2004, it is a cd and i just found out that this computer does not have the space to hold the norton apparently as it is a very old computer. I cant tell you how many gigs because it wont let me in to check anything. My girlfriend must have deleted the autorun.exe.........i was able to get from her the original recovery disc for the computer.
she had never used it and it was hidden in the back of her drawer under many things, took her a little while to find it.
Maybe if you could talk me through the recovery i might be able to get the computer back on line... doing a recovery would remove all the bad stuff and replace it with only the files that were intended for the computer in the first place right?

#7 dounome

dounome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

i finally got something different on this screen, i followed the steps in this web page that one of you sent me http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ut61.html#win98
I am now in the stage where it says
Step 8: When the computer boots up perform what diagnostic or troubleshooting tasks you require
The only way i was able to get tot hat point was to type in the box when it came up saying it didn't know where msconfig was was "C:WINDOWSSYSTEM then the systems configuration utility came on. when i rebooted like it said, it i did not take me back to the safe mode, it instead took me to the normal page and that now requests once again the autorun

#8 dounome

dounome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:36 PM

I went back into the safe mode, still had to manually type the place where the msconfig was and was able to get into the safe desktop where i am able to use some of the items, It wont let me go to system programs to do anything like "add and remove" because it keeps asking for this item to be located
RUNDLL.32.exe"shell32.Control_runDLL
thats where i am right now waiting to have a little help here as to how to find this program so i can type it into the box.

It wont let me get the properties of anything either so I am sorry but i still cant tell you exactly what is running on this comp

I want to remove the norton program, as i do believe that it is too big and the msn messenger7.0 as i think that maybe by eliminating them, this comp will have a little more room to function better. I also need to figure a way to make it so that i don't have to type the location of all the programs so they will run automatically like they did before, ... I'm sorry for being such a bother. i know a little but not a lot.

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:01 PM

dounome: You're not being a bother at all. :thumbsup:

It looks like the message - RUNDLL.32.exe"shell32.Control_runDLL -is the command to run the control panel. I am not sure why it is showing up now....

Do you have the installation CD? I am thinking you should run a system file check(SFC)... But, I will wait for the other experts to weigh in with their advice.

:flowers:

JC
JC

#10 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

Well, I'm no expert, especially with 98--um, I'm still wondering if that is what we're dealing with here. I'm going to assume that is your OS, but you know what they say about assumptions. :thumbsup:

Try this:

Insert the Norton CD and when the C:\ prompt comes up see if you can change the C to a D (if D is the letter assigned to your CD drive). Then type in autorun.inf and/or autorun.exe and hit enter. I think JC is right that Norton hasn't completed installation and maybe that will do it. Unless your hard drive is actually full.

If that doesn't work I'm thinking you might have a corrupted registry. So Acklan's idea was a good one, altho 98 doesn't have System Restore. But you can restore backups and repair the registry by using scanreg.

So, if you're running 98, try this:

First read over the following article and the links to MS articles under the heading More information
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...999111116313539

Since you don't seem to be able to get explorer to load correctly, follow the instructions for using the command prompt:

To restore a registry backup from MS-DOS mode

1. Restart the system in MS-DOS mode.

If the system does not automatically start in MS-DOS mode when attempting to boot into Windows 98, hold down Ctrl key during system startup until the Startup Menu displays, and choose "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" from the Startup Menu.

2. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore and press Enter. You do not have to be in the C:\Windows\Command folder to run the command.

3. Choose which backup to restore. You should have a choice of registry backups from the last five days the system successfully booted. You can also restore other backups from either the hard drive or floppy disk. The backups from the last five days will be in the format RB00x.*, where RB stands for Registry Backup, and x is the sequence number of the backup. RB000.cab is the most recent backup.

If you still have problems or can't find a good backup to restore, try repairing the registry.

To repair the registry from MS-DOS mode

1. Restart the system in MS-DOS mode. If the system does not automatically start in MS-DOS mode when attempting to boot into Windows 98, hold down the Ctrl key during bootup until the Startup Menu appears, and choose "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" from the Startup menu.

2. At the C: prompt, type scanreg and press Enter. You do not have to be in the C:\Windows\Command folder to run the command.

* If ScanReg is unable to fix the registry problems, or does not detect registry problems, run scanreg /fix

Let us know how that goes, then I think running the system file checker as JC suggests might be needed as the next step and we'll see what we can do to get rid of what Norton may have left on the system and that malware it found. I think you may be right to want to do a recovery or reformat, but if there is data that your girlfriend wants to save you'll want to get the PC into a working state to back up that data. I may not be around, so JC and Acklan should be able to help you with that.

And as JC says, it's no bother. That's what we're here for.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:03 AM

Hope nobody minds if I jump in here. If you can get to msconfig, uncheck everything except System Tray and reboot. If that doesn't help, use F8 to get to Command Prompt only and type in the following, exactly as shown:

Del C:\Windows\Win386.swp

and then use Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.

Failing that Boot to Command Prompt only and when you are at C:\> (if you are not there type in cd \) type in the following:

Edit config.sys

If there is anything in that file put rem followed by a space in front of each line. Then press Alt, F, X and Enter. Then:

Edit autoexec.bat

And do the same as above with the rem comment.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

Feel free to jump in Leurgy. You are one of the "experts" that I was referring to.

Rumour has it that you are a Windows 98 Whiz.....

:thumbsup:
JC

#13 dounome

dounome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:15 PM

:thumbsup: I just want to thank everyone for helping me attempt to retrieve the computer programs, as it is, i was unable to get the files that were necessary to upload properly to even open the my documents and did a complete recovery this afternoon. The computer is now working and all i need to do is get the Ethernet to function properly, as the computer sees the card, but does not know what it is, I called my girlfriend and she says she has the installation disc, so when i get the comp back to her place, hopefully everything runs as smooth a pie. Thanks again for your help and if i need you again, I hope you will be her to help me. :flowers:

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:19 PM

Once you get it back up completely make sure you download and install a firewall, a functioning AV program (like AVG if Norton doesn't work which it may well not on Win 98) and then see if you can get the critical updates from Windows Updates.

I know Microsoft just changed their support policy for Win 98 but hopefully still offers the critical updates.

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

Critical Updates are still being supplied for 98. Microsoft says they extended the program yet again due to the prevelance of its use in Africa and Asia but I'm sure there are other issues also.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users