Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control keys suddenly inoperative

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nomade

nomade

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:46 AM

I have Windows XP. A few days ago the control keys (Ctrl) stopped working, which is a minor inconvenience for some functions, and a catastrophe for others that don't seem to have a mouse equivalent. The keyboard has been checked; it is OK. I have checked for all the possible viruses that the forums say could cause it; the computer appears clean. I have restored (Restore) the settings back to a day when the keys were working. Suggestions about using redegit for resetting the code always break down at a point where the suggestions instruct one to enter a code at a place that does not exist. Oddly enough, I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Fn or Del+Alt+Fn, (I forget which at the moment, I would have to look it up), but it fixed it for two days, and then the keys stopped working again, and the solution that worked before did not work the second time. Hence, two questions:
(a) any other suggestions?
(:thumbsup: are there any mouse equivalents to Ctrl+F, Ctrl+H, Ctrl+Alt+Del?
Thanks.

Edited by nomade, 06 April 2010 - 01:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:01 AM

Hi nomade -

Have you thought of just buying another keyboard - They only start from $20 (OK $100 if you want a top one) and that may be your problem -
If not try to borrow one from a mate for 5 mins and see if that fixes it - People are throwing them out every day -

Thank you -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

Keyboards tend to get all sorts of debris stuck in them, depending on the habits of the user.

I would try shaking possible crud out of the keyboard.

Louis

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

Have you thought about a possible port issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users