Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Keys all messed up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shevie

Shevie

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

Hello BC, I think I may have accidently held the shift key down too long when I attempted to rest my elbow down on my desk. I am not 100 percent sure but it seems to be the problem. All my keys are messed up with wrong commands. When I hold down shift I can turn off and on numberlock, but otherwise I can not. I have tried restarting and plugging in and out the keyboard but it does not work. I also tried holding down both shift key because I heard that it may be fixed that way but no luck. ( maybe I should hold it down longer?) I am also on windows xp if that helps and I am typing this post on my phone. Lol any help is appreciated and loved, thank you. I should also add that now when I open anything in windows explorer it opens in another window instead of the same one. For ex ill open my computer and then my documents but my documents would open in another tab.

Edited by Shevie, 06 April 2010 - 12:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Try a different keyboard

The keyboard itself is usually not complex enough to be fixed once a key goes bad. If another keyboard does not fix the issue then you have a software problem or a problem with the ps2 connector.

#3 Shevie

Shevie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the advice Ken. I did fix it earlier today at 3pm; I went into safe mode (the keyboard was working) and went into the admin login and check to make sure all my regional language settings, keyboard and accessibility settings where correct and did a system restore. It took 2 tries but it went through. I have no idea how this even happened and I was going to try using a new keyboard but couldn't find one. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users