Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ok so 2 questions about vista.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 freakycorpse

freakycorpse

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

OK so first, for the windows automatic update. On the task bar on the right side the icon is up, and it tells me I have new updates. When I click on it it says "The page failed to load". Other forums posts say to command prompt and perform a scan but it didn't work.

Second, is there a program I can get that will tell me if programs I have on my computer are safe to remove because I want to clean out my computer as much as I can.

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Processor is Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5750 @2.00GHz
RAM 4.00 GB
I have Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64-bit

Any programs or tips to help my computer for better performance will be greatly appreciated! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keveenjones

keveenjones

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:48 AM

For update problem mainly problem in internet connection you can check your internet connection and then you can try to install update easily. And your second question answer is that you can install genuine antivirus, that antivirus will save your laptop and automatically delete viruses and mostly you can use ccleaner, through ccleaner west files has been deleted.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

BC Recommends that you do not run any registry cleaners.

#4 freakycorpse

freakycorpse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

My current Anti virus software is McAfee. Is this a good program? I usually perform a scan every other week. Seems to be working fine. Whats a Registry cleaner?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

McAfee is perfectly fine, as i use it. CCleaner is a registry cleaner.

#6 freakycorpse

freakycorpse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

Cool. Do you know of any programs that will tell me the programs that are safe to remove?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

THat can only be done by you.

#8 freakycorpse

freakycorpse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

ok thanks

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

Cool. Do you know of any programs that will tell me the programs that are safe to remove?

I think you have phrased your question wrong lol. ANY program is safe to remove, I think what you are wanting to know is what PROCESSES are safe to keep from auto starting. Processes start programs. A program that is not running is doing nothing except perhaps taking up a little hard drive space. While only you can decide WHICH programs to allow to auto start, to say that only you KNOW which are safe to allow to start is insipid, I would hope you could get a higher quality of help from here. If you knew, you wouldn't be asking.

In order to know what you should or shouldn't turn off, I think you should read this tutorial by Grinler (the site owner, or one of this sites owners if there is more than one, I'm not sure. But I think it's safe to say he knows what he is talking about lol). Once you read it, I think you will be more prepared to ask and receive some answers.

Hope this helps you a little better to understand what is going on in the background of your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users