Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:10 PM
I have an HP Pavilion dv2025nr laptop running a fully updated Windows XP SP3 operating system.
Recently, I have been experiencing power problems with the PC.
If I allow the computer to go into standby mode, the PC will not come out of standby mode correctly. The PC will power on and all the normal LEDs will be lit and you can hear the disk spinning up. However, the display doesn't flicker and doesn't appear to respond to any key depresses or mouse cursor movements.
Hibernation and shut down results in the same problem most times, but not all the time.
I have found that the following process will restore the PC to working order.
1. Depress and hold power button until PC powers off.
2. Remove battery.
3. Remove AC power cable.
4. Depress and hold power button for 30 seconds to totally drain any remaining power.
5. Connect AC power cable. At this time, the PC automatically powers on which seems unusual to me.
6. Depress and hold the power button until PC powers off.
7. Depress power button again to begin boot cycle.
If I stop after completing step 5, the computer ends up in the same situation. It is on, LEDs lit, and what appears to be a blank screen. I have to essentially power cycle it again with steps 6 & 7 for it to boot normally.
I can't say for sure if the problem started at exactly the same time as a recent wireless HP printer installation. The problem developed around the same time so perhaps the two events are connected.
Any help would be appreciated.