Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shepherd564

shepherd564

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:57 AM

Okay, let me see if I can make this as clear as mud. PC Identification is:

Custom built, Pentium 4, 1.8 gHz speed.
512 mg ram
Windows XP pro w/ XP office
Using IE6 and Outlook Express 6

Server is SBCglobal.

Okay, I think that will be enough info for my problem, which didn't start until I installed SBCglobal/Yahoo service after moving here in July.

I can get on-line with Explorer and usually am able to stay on for 1/2 hour or so before being booted off. But when I try to get my email through Outlook Express I will only stay connected for 3 or 4 minutes before redialing. Outlook express also takes forever to load sometimes getting this (not responding) error and having to close it and start all over. I have tried removing and reloading it through the Windows remove/change menu which made no difference at all. I thought about completely uninstalling it but it's not listed in any of the add/remove lists.

The real kicker is when I get this error message saying the server is not found and I open accounts and SBC and Server and find the pop3 has been change to the local host 127.0.0.1 instead of the pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com. that it is supposed to be. I can change it back, click apply and things are fine until I close OLE, then when it's re opened the same stuff if right back. Another problem along the same lines is in the IE when I try to change the Internet options is says I do not have permission to do that I need to see the administrator. I am the administrator so is this something to do with the Yahoo Server that has Hijacked my system?

Right now I have run Spybot in safe mode, as well as Hijackthis, also in safe mode and Reg Cleaner. While all this seemed to speed the system up some it did not fix the problems with Outlook Express.

So my question is how do I fix this problem and is it related to the Yahoo/SBCglobal service?

Shepherd564

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:46 AM

If you have submitted a HJT log then the best thing to do is wait. The HJT team is volunteer and work on the logs as fast as possible. Your log will be review and they will contact you with an answer.
Please be patient.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 shepherd564

shepherd564
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:51 PM

Sorry had to go take care of some things. What is a HJT log? I don't know if I've submitted one or not? I've been on the phone with Yahoo/SBC tech support for days now and no one has been able to help solve this problem. Not even the english speaking techs that aren't reading out of a book.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

Right now I have run Spybot in safe mode, as well as Hijackthis, also in safe mode and Reg Cleaner. While all this seemed to speed the system up some it did not fix the problems with Outlook Express.

HighJackThis = HJT. You need to post the log result in the HJT forum. Not in this forum. DO NOT edit the HJT results. You may damage your OS to the point you will have to reinstall everything, and loose all of your data. If you have made changes to your system run HJT again and post the results in that forum. The quicker you do the quicker you will receive help.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users