Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up an External Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

On another thread I have detailed issues relating to copying from a laptop to an external harddrive. Thinking that the external drive was the problem I bought a new one. However, it is now clear that the old external hard drive was not the problem. So, I want to take advantage of the store's generous return policy to return the new external hard drive. I tried copying files onto it and the copy failed. I deleted what did copy. Is there anything else I should do before returning the hard drive?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

I would Format it before you return it or "nuke" it especially if you had copied anything important to it...

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the reply. How do I format or nuke it?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. How do I format or nuke it?

Go to the drive manufactures site and down load their wipe program, it will write 0's to the drive.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 908 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

Manufacturer's site did not have a wipe program.

#6 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

(right-click) My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > (right-click) the external drive and select "Format" > Choose "Quick Format"

That should format your drive. Be careful which drive you format.

Regards
Delta

#7 DOSCAT

DOSCAT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi Hal06, You could download Recuva from filehippo.com or do a google search.
Download it then install it, Open program do a scan of your the external drive then tag all files then right click, a menu will pop up and pick secure overwrite checked, then it will ask you if you are sure that clicking yes mean they are gone forever. click yes it will take
some time just let it run. When that is done go to computer and highlight your external drive right click and pick format (make sure you have picked your external drive)
Now that should take care of it. I use Recuva and I have had very good luck with it.

DOSCAT

Edited by DOSCAT, 06 April 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

FWIW: I think you misinterpreted "manufacturer" to mean the external drive manufacturer.

That was not the intent, it's the hard drive manufacturer (the hard drive is inside the enclosure) who supplies the diagnostic.

In cases where the hard drive manufacturer is also selling external drives, it's one and the same.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users