Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet after installing XP

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chops73

Chops73

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

I reinstalled XP on my Dell laptop which was running Ubuntu (linux) earlier. I cannot connect to internet now I dont see th wirless card and niether can i connect via hard wire. I was reading a similar topic here and it could be that the drivers are not installed. How can I install the drivers and how do I know which drivers to install. thanks for the help in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

What is the model number of your Dell Laptop?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Chops73

Chops73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

thanks for replying...Its dell Latitude D400

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

You can download the drivers from here:

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/downloa...tid=&impid=
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Chops73

Chops73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

thanks, so after downloading should i put them on a USB drive and load to the computer? a little more detail will help a new bee like me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chops73, 05 April 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

Yes, you will need to copy the drivers over with a USB drive or something similar.

Start with the "Intel - Driver" under Chipset.

Then install the appropriate driver under Network.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Chops73

Chops73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

thanks, i will let you know how it goes.

#8 Chops73

Chops73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

first of all Thanks, I am able to connect to internet via a hard wire now so I am probably half there. I have downloaded all the drivers and in the sequence it was suggested on the dell site. I still cant connect to internet via wireless.

Before installing the drivers there was no icon on the task bar but now there is a icon but it says "no supported wifi adapters available in the system". I also want to highlight that in middle of the driver updates the "wifi" icon was displaying that no supported drivers but after all the drivers were installed now the message error shows "no supported wifi adapters available in the system"

some more help and I will be there :thumbsup:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

Download and install SIW.

Run the program and post back the description of your wireless connection which is under Hardware > Network Adapters.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Chops73

Chops73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

no wireless adapter is showing. i tried to save a screen dump but the size is big so cant load. I was using the wireless on this laptop before installing XP so I know its in there. is there any other way i can show the screen dump to you. basically its showing only the Broadcom controller and a 1394 net adapter but no wireless. I have downloaded intel drivers from dell site and the icon in the task bar sows as intel so its may be a intel adapter.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

Do you have any unknown devices or ones with a yellow or red warning symbol next to it in the Device Manager?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Chops73

Chops73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

No the device manager is all good. no yellow or red question marks like there were earlier. I am trying to reach dell also to see if they can find the wireless adapter info by my service tag info. doubt that but I am trying

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

Does your wireless show up in the Device Manager?

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Chops73

Chops73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

Its dell 1350 wireless card.so do I have to uninstall the intel drivers I downloaded

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

I don't think you need to uninstall the old one before installing the new one.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users