Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chefbrad

chefbrad

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

My computer is a Dell dimension 4700 series with Windows XP Home SP3.

I have been working with someone in the virus/malware forum to get rid of a trojan virus. In the course of getting rid of the virus the person who was helping me noticed my java was out of date. He suggested that I remove all old versions of java and install the latest. I tried to remove them using add/remove programs and was having problems so he instructed me to download JavaRa and use it to remove the old java. It got rid of most of them but Java6 update 7 and Java6 update 18 are still in the program list in add/remove programs. When I try to install the new java update jre-6u19-windows-i586.exe, it gets through most of the installation when I get an error.

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'jre.1.6.0_14-c.msi' in the box below.

I have looked and looked and cannot find this file. I've tried a search in windows explorer but the search didn't turn up anything.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

Have you tried simply following directions at http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml?

I've never seen any reason to use any application/website other than java.com to update/install.

Louis

#3 chefbrad

chefbrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

Thanks! It worked.

#4 hamluis

hamluis