Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP IT!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'm on XP professional, and i had set my page file up near the outer edge of the drive, and manually set it's minimum and maximum size to the same value(1gb), and unchecked the "system managed size" box. I did this so that it would be on the faster part of the disk, and also to stop it changing size and possibly fragmenting(it's quite a small partition). I've had no "windows is running low on virtual memory" messages..... but (and this has happened before) windows has took it upon itself to move my pagefile to the inside of the disk!!! the page file is now on the opposite side of the drive to all my programs and windows folders! which can't be good for performance. Why does it do this? And how can stop it doing it?

cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

The block density at the center of the drive is much greater then it is at the edge of the drive. You should always let Windows Manage your paging file regardless of what people think. It shouldn't be changing it size as it is set statically to the amount of RAM you have. I have 4gigs of RAM and thusly my page file is 4 gigs. I do not see any performance hits with paging. If you are that concerned over paging, and you page a lot maybe its time to invest in more memory, or decrease the amount of applications you have open.

Can you post your system specs?

#3 666philb

666philb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the reply cryptodan,

i didn't want windows to move my pagefile, but it did! to a silly place!

it's just an old computer 1.1ghz, 700mb(ish)ram, 1gig pagefile,10gb partition. When ever i install windows xp, windows always places the page file (initially) in approximately the same place, towards the outer edge of the drive. Indeed, this it where it placed the page file on this install approximately 3 weeks ago. It had been happily sitting there until yesterday! when suddenly, for no apparent reason, it moved it! towards the inside of the drive. As stated above, i had opted not to let windows manage my pagefile, the main reason for this is because on such a small partition it's quite easy to get the pagefile fragmented, which does affect performance.

What i want to know, is .

1. why it does this.

2. how can i stop it!

Surely there must be a registry entry dictating this behaviour that you can turn off.

Edited by 666philb, 06 April 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

You have 10 GB hard disk and 700MB RAM. You should keep PageFile only 1050 MB. As cryptodan has suggested, your computer's hardware is limited so you should either stop opening many applications at once, cut down on always running apps. Or install bigger and faster hard disk and RAM.

As far as fragmentation of Pagefile is concerned, you can always defragment PageFile using PageDefrag. You can even set PageDefrag to run automatically at each boot.

#5 666philb

666philb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

thanks for the reply Romeo29

i know i can use page defrag, but i've set my computer up so that i shouldn't have to. You seem to be missing the point of my topic, Windows moved my pagefile (when i specifically told it not to) to another part of the partition. I want to stop it doing this. It's a wierd one, a google search has turned up nothing.

Edited by 666philb, 07 April 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

thanks for the reply Romeo29

i know i can use page defrag, but i've set my computer up so that i shouldn't have to. You seem to be missing the point of my topic, Windows moved my pagefile (when i specifically told it not to) to another part of the partition. I want to stop it doing this. It's a wierd one, a google search has turned up nothing.

Your computer is very low specced for Windows XP Home or Professional. You need to stop messing with it, and let windows manage itself.

#7 666philb

666philb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

yes but still, despite having a crappy computer, i would like to know if anyone can answer my original question

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

From everything I am able to find to answer your question about the location of your page file, "unchecked the "system managed size" box." does not have any effect on location on the disk. Even the term of the box you checked states "managed size". I can not find anything that would indicate utilizing that checkbox affects the location of the page file, and whether it will be moved by the OS, only the size of the page file and whether it's user or OS managed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 666philb

666philb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

hi animal,

yes, checking the "custom size" box, and making the minimum and maximum size the same does not have anything to do with the location of the pagefile on the disk. It does however, keep the pagefile at a static size. And you would think that because it is a static size, it would just stay where ever it was. This doesn't seem to be the case. I was thinking that possibly there's a registry entry that dictates this behaviour,.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

I have no answer to your question, just a question of my own since you have piqued my curiosity.

How do you know where on your disk your pagefile is?

Btw, I would not your call your computer crappy or let people who say you need more ram make you feel like it is or that you need more ram, especially if you do not have issues with speed. It is better than mine and I have no complaints about mine, not speed or anything else, although for all I know my pagefile keeps moving, lol. I have a slower processor and less ram, even so, I can still have multiple applications running and do whatever I want to with it and do not feel any need for more ram. The only thing I have that might be a bit better is a bigger hard drive but I still think between the two of us, you have the better computer. My processor is a P3 600 mhz, I only have 640 megs of ram and my harddrive holds about 37 gigs. Even with less ram and a slower processor, I do not consider my computer to be crappy at all and I have no complaints at all about the speed of it.

Edited by Stang777, 07 April 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#11 666philb

666philb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

thanks Stang777,

this picture may help, on windows defrag you should see two green bands called "unmovable files" one is the pagefile and one is the reserve for the MFT. Athough on my picture the second smaller band is a pagefile fragment as i have no MFT reserve (this is because the disk got filled up and this space got used). I'm not sure how you tell which is which on windows defrag, your harddrive is 37gb i'm presuming your pagefile is around a gigabyte or just under, so the smaller band would probably be your pagefile. There is a freeware edition of ultimate defrag if you really wanted to find out, not sure how good it is but it's here

http://download.cnet.com/UltimateDefrag-Fr...4-10582157.html

Attached Files

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

You are very welcome and thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me and for the link to the free program. Thanks again.

O yea, you are pretty much correct about the size of my pagefile. I have it set to custom size and it shows it is currently set at 960 meg. It is set for a minimum of 960 and a maximum of 1920. That is how the techs who built the computer set it up and I have never messed with it as it works just fine with that setting.

I just downloaded that program and when I ever get around to defragging this thing, I will give it a try. I have actually never defragged it, the few times I have gone to do it, Windows has said it did not need to be defragged so I haven't done it. I don't know why, and I know it is stupid to feel this way, but I am a little nervous about doing it so when Windows says it isn't needed, I don't do it.

I hope you get your problem figured out and get your comptuer to do what you want it to do, good luck.

Edited by Stang777, 07 April 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#13 666philb

666philb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

defragmenting is basicaly good house keeping, you can see on that picture i posted that my drive could do with a good defragmenting (the red areas are fragmented files) . It's always worth a check after you've install something new to see if it needs to be defragged, fragmenting becomes more of a problem and more common as your drive gets full up. Windows itself performs a partial defrag every three days in the background.

I think It's always worth making your own judgement when windows says that the volume doesn't need defragging, usually it's right, but i've had times where one file is fragmented and windows says there's no need to defrag, but the file is a film and because it's fragmented, playback isn't smooth.

And a note on that freeware program, if you try it it will ask you if you want to set it as your default defragger, you should probably tick no.

and thanks for the luck

Edited by 666philb, 07 April 2010 - 05:16 PM.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thank you for the info and you are welcome :flowers:

EDIT: Deleted your dupe :trumpet: ~ Louis.

Thank you for deleting that :inlove:

You're welcome. We're here to help. :thumbsup:

Edited by Animal, 07 April 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#15 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:33 PM

Hi 666philb.

If you haven't seen it, there is a nice explanation about the page file on this page: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

What may help explain your problem is in the section titled "Should the file be left on Drive C:?" about half way down the page. Check the last two(2) sentences in the paragraph of that section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users