Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Printer comes in and out

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

XP and it's printer spooling issues are old news now. But I have an interesting issue with an HP Deskjet on an XP MSE computer. I can reinstall drivers and it works fine for a while. Then it drops out, windows reporting it is not online. Changing USB cable had no effect.

Also, going thru the Control Panel and stopping/restarting the spooler has no effect. Once it drops out, restarting the spooler does not work nor does restarting the computer.

I took the printer home and plugged it into THIS computer, running Windows7 Pro. Windows saw the printer right away and I have been able to print using it, all day now. So the printer appears to be fine.

What in the world would cause it to drop out of use on that other computer all the time? When it goes offline, XP changes the default printer to the PDF printer and of course this needs intervention to fix. IOW when the printer ~does~ manage to come back online, the PC still doesn't print to it because it is no longer default.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Paul in San Diego

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

Update your printer drivers on the other machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users