Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card - Odd Behavior

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

Windows XP Pro.

I just installed a new video card in my Dell computer, a Radeon HD 5670. After I installed it, as my computer booted up, detecting new hardware, I went through the procedure for installing the drivers. I had the installation CD in the CD-Rom and thought I installed the drivers okay, but I did get an error message saying that it was not properly installed. When I checked Device manager, there was a yellow "?" for the cards, so I reinstalled it through device manager > reinstall drivers. It went smoothly but now I'm noticing that I'm experiencing strange behavior with my video. When I grab the scroller and move down the page, instead of moving as a solid sheet of text/images, the screen sort of shimmers, like it's repainting or something. I don't know how to describe it. I tried visiting the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers but the page with those drivers did not paste up: the 'loading' icon just kept spinning.

I'm wondering if there might be something that is interfering. I'm NOT a computer geek but wonder if either of these installed programs could be causing the problem.

I found them in add/remove programs.

ATI Display Drivers

NVIDIA

I think the ATI has something to do with AMD processor chips. My computer has an Intel Duo Processor. As for NVIDIA, I went to their website but didn't recognize any of the programs.

Anything else that might be causing my video card not to run smoothly?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

First, go to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx and download drivers, save them to desktop.

Go to Add/remove programs/program manager and delete all ATI drivers/software.

Reboot, install the downloaded drivers. Select "custom install", or else it will install a bunch of crud. Install drivers and CCC. Reboot.

If it is still acting up, go into task manager and see what the CPU use is while on the internet. I have seen some older systems choke with IE8 and flash animations when too many background programs are chewing up CPU time.

Never use the driver disk for video cards as ATI releases new drivers every month, especially for the 5XXX series. I will likely end up getting a 5670 for my new HTPC build in a few weeks. Let us know how it works (if you are running Blu Ray through the
HDMI port on it, really let me know).

Good luck.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

Double check your refresh rates if they are 60 Hertz you will see improved performance with 75 Hertz.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

Thanks. I followed your advice and that fixed the problem. But I'm curious...why did I have that problem in the first place? I don't know why I couldn't access the HISdigital driver page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users